Sick duckling??

If you can't take her to a vet, you need to bring her inside, likely to her dismay, so if you want to set the other ducklings near her in a separate pen so they can see each other, but can't touch that might be good.

If you don't have a food scale, get one, and start weighing her daily each morning, this will give you an idea of her state of health.

Make sure her pen area, is warm, and stressful free. You can add a poultry vitamin or an electrolyte like Gatorade to her water, or carefully drip a few drops along with her bill.

Could you post a few pictures of her poop?

I should add, if you want to treat her with an all-spectrum antibiotic, that's fine, I personally avoid antibiotics unless I know there is, or going to be an infection, we get drug resistance bacteria by people immediately treating birds with antibiotics without any proof that they do have a bacterial related infection.

Since she's a duckling, I would stay away from potent antibiotics like Enrofloxacin, as they can affect the bone structure in growing birds.

Amoxicillin might be a better alternative and can be purchased in a fish form.

Could you post a video of her?

When did she start acting like this?

I noticed she wasn't quite as active as the others last night when I gave them all swim time. But she was still joining in the fun in the pool, just a little more sleepy. This morning it was obvious something wasn't right. She wouldn't stand and would eat but only if I brought it to her. Now she is getting worse even after I've been holding her up to drink and eat and have given her a boost of extra brewers yeast mixed in water with their starter and some kale. She won't take bites of food anymore and will only drink when I hold her. She is still peeping when the others go away from her. Her eyes close a lot and look watery.
I haven't seen her poop in a while so don't know what that looks like. Bad sign.
I will get a video of her in a little bit and post it

I will try gatorade and keep holding her up for water and food but I honestly don't have high hopes for her. I feel like she may pass overnight :(

I noticed she wasn't quite as active as the others last night when I gave them all swim time. But she was still joining in the fun in the pool, just a little more sleepy. This morning it was obvious something wasn't right. She wouldn't stand and would eat but only if I brought it to her. Now she is getting worse even after I've been holding her up to drink and eat and have given her a boost of extra brewers yeast mixed in water with their starter and some kale. She won't take bites of food anymore and will only drink when I hold her. She is still peeping when the others go away from her. Her eyes close a lot and look watery.
I haven't seen her poop in a while so don't know what that looks like. Bad sign.
I will get a video of her in a little bit and post it

Weakness of the neck, irritation of the eyes, sudden lethargy, and overall disinterest in feed/water, are all signs of poison consumption.

Do you know of anything she may have eaten, moldy feed, decaying vegetation, rotten carcasses, nails, screws, staples, fishing weights?

I will try gatorade and keep holding her up for water and food but I honestly don't have high hopes for her. I feel like she may pass overnight :(

:hugs

Weakness of the neck, irritation of the eyes, sudden lethargy, and overall disinterest in feed/water, are all signs of poison consumption.

Do you know of anything she may have eaten, moldy feed, decaying vegetation, rotten carcasses, nails, screws, staples, fishing weights?

:hugs

Definitely no non food items. But it could be possible she ate something spoiled. But they're all together all the time and she is the only one with symptoms.
Is there anything other than what was already mentioned that I could do to help her if she has poisoning?

IMG_20200805_085316.jpg
IMG_20200805_085154.jpg

She is still with us!

I separated her last night from the others and kept her in my room in a little bin with a mix of gatorade, honey, starter and yeast. She is still not good but a tiny bit better and no worse so I'm counting that as a win. I messaged her breeder last night and she agreed that it sounded like poisoning so to give her the mix I mentioned above. I also ordered some grapefruit seed extract as per her advice. She swears it saves her ducks in times like this so hopefully when it arrives tomorrow it will do the trick.
Buttercup (the duckling) gave me a little stand up this morning when I came in their room and rose herself up enough to drink. Still not standing normally or walking but im hoping over more time she will regain that.

Also forgot to mention I put her in a box alone with her mix before I give her any water and away from the others so she has the most she will take. Then I put her back in and hold her to water and put the mix in with all of them because it encourages her to eat more of it. And I figure it can't hurt the others to have a little bit of a boost

Back
Top Bottom