Sick duckling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlenell1, Nov 6, 2011.

1. littlenell1

littlenell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Tony is the lone duckling from a poor hatch. so called because he was the t'ony one! He has been doing really well up to a few days ago, when he seemed to slow down, spend more time resting on his heat pad, and today, he did not even get up to come to see his food. He is lethargic, not eating and unsteady on his gfeet. If he falls over he cannot roll over to right himself.
    He is breathing really fast..his tail is bobbing, his beak just opens slightly. His eyes are bright, his poop chute is clear. He is really skinny.
    I read up about tube feeding, thinking I would at least try to give him some energy to fight whatever is making him ill. He has tolerated that ok, pooped a few times, still chugging away breathing wise....He is not making any usual duckling sounds, and just lays down if given the chance.
    I have brought him into the house, airing cupboard...it is warm, dark and I can keep an eye on him there.

Any thoughts. He is a dear boy. Now about 6-7 wks old...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. littlenell1

littlenell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Just given him a last tube feed before bed...and almost a little peep from him. He seems stronger. He is pooping well..no blood or anything.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by