sick duckling??

missdimples14

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
colorado
I have a two week old pekin duckling. I have noticed that he has been sneezing the last few days. It was only a few times a day. This morning I woke up and one of his nostrils was clogged. He was sneezing and I could hear him breathing every once in awhile when I would hold him. I raised the heat and I started to add vitamin/electrolytes powder to his water. I gave him a warm bath earlier and something came out of his nose. It was close in color to his food. I picked it up and it wasn't soft nor hard. It wasn't sticky either. He is still sneezing. He is still active and he has been eating a lot. It seems his appetite has increased. I'm not sure what to do.

just make it deep enough he can dunk his whole beak in and blow out his nares. the increased appetite is because they grow like weeks - they double like every two weeks in size totally normal! I would be worried if it stayed the same or decreased.

Ok. Should I be worried about the sneezing and the breathing like he has a snuffed nose? I haven't noticed any discharge. Just stuff that resembles the color of his food. Anything I can do or give him?

I would just watch closely. He may have just gotten food up there and couldnt clean it out good enough and got stopped up. Sounds like you are adding vitamins to water - maybe just give them directly through a dropper - babies are super easy to give vitamins to and keep the electrolytes in the water. Dont put the heat up too high unless they have room to get away from it if it gets to high - they are starting to get their feathers in now so the heat usually doesnt need to go up later as they feather out.

Ok. Should I be worried about the sneezing and the breathing like he has a snuffed nose? I haven't noticed any discharge. Just stuff that resembles the color of his food. Anything I can do or give him?
I'll just but in and say it does sound like he probably had feed up in his nares and just needs a good dunking, put them into a warm bath and let them swim that way they can really clean up. Never leave duckling un supervised in water till fully feathered, and make sure they are patted dry and placed right back into the brooder where it's warm so they don't chill. heres a link to a good duckling waterer and easy to make.https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426909/non-spill-duckling-waterer/10

Last edited:
I'll just but in and say it does sound like he probably had feed up in his nares and just needs a good dunking, put them into a warm bath and let them swim that way they can really clean up. Never leave duckling un supervised in water till fully feathered, and make sure they are patted dry and placed right back into the brooder where it's warm so they don't chill. heres a link to a good duckling waterer and easy to make.https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426909/non-spill-duckling-waterer/10
You are the best advice out there!!!! I have one to post for you!

You are the best advice out there!!!! I have one to post for you!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom