Sick duckling

cavedog

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 26, 2014
We got two ducklings about five weeks ago. One seems to be developing normally and doing great. The other one is only half the others size and doesn't to seem to be getting feathers and is losing its down. She seems normal, activity wise. Also normal with eating and drinking. She does have watery bright green poop. We have them on chick starter with brewers yeast.

Is she sick? I appreciate the help.

This is the sick duckling

Here is the healthy duck.

We got two ducklings about five weeks ago. One seems to be developing normally and doing great. The other one is only half the others size and doesn't to seem to be getting feathers and is losing its down. She seems normal, activity wise. Also normal with eating and drinking. She does have watery bright green poop. We have them on chick starter with brewers yeast.

Is she sick? I appreciate the help.

This is the sick duckling

Here is the healthy duck.
Something is dif going on here. I have a link I think you should read about Crested ducks... I'm not giving this to you to condem you for getting one, they are adorable but can come with various issues most don't know about. Is she eating good? sometimes poop tells alot and maybe she isn't getting enough to eat also she may need extra nutrients to help also, There are quite a few members that have successfully treated crested ducklings and have seen them become healthy ducks. I'll give you a couple more links too so you can see how they have worked with theirs and hopefully you'll be able to help your little one. I would dif get her and the other started on some really good poultry vitamins, Poultry Nutri Drench is one I like. But go ahead and read about Crested and I'll go get more info. She sure is a cutie. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/837366/crested-ducks-the-whole-picture

I'm just going to give you this link and there are quite a few threads about crested ducks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Crested+duckling
I also sent your thread to jenniemig asking for help.

Last edited:
Hello Cavedog and WELCOME to BYC!

It looks like you have some skin issues going on with both of them. Are there any signs of mites? Are they maybe having a reaction to bedding? Do they get to swim often?

No signs of mites. Now they are bigger they get to be outside most of the day. We are In Austin and it's already 90+ degrees lol. they have a small brownie dish 8x10 2" deep for water. We change the pine shavings everyday for their night bed. You would think they would have reacted sooner but they spend 12 hours a day outside.

Does the larger duck not have normal feathers?

Miss Lynda let me read the posts and get back to you.

Miss Lynda, these ducks are Indian runners. Unless I'm mistaken please correct me.

Miss Lynda, these ducks are Indian runners. Unless I'm mistaken please correct me.
Yes they are looking at their long bodies, but still crested which is what we're looking at here not breed. many breeds come in crested. Do you only have the 2? Looks like 2nd duckling does have normal feathering.

Last edited:
Yes they are looking at their long bodies, but still crested which is what we're looking at here not breed. many breeds come in crested. Do you only have the 2? Looks like 2nd duckling does have normal feathering.

If you look at its face though, the skin and feathers look a little worn/balded. Maybe it's just the lighting.

With my ducklings one of them did go through a growth spurt and was much bigger then the other 2 for a few weeks. The other two did eventually catch up and now my crested is the biggest one of my bunch. The bright green poo might be from different greens and grasses that they're eating. When i give mine romaine or peas they have the same green poo.
As far as the bare spots...have you seen either of them picking at each other? That may be your culprit.
I would put them both on poultry nutri drench in the water, just in case it is a dietary/vitamin issue, and keep an eye on them.

If you look at its face though, the skin and feathers look a little worn/balded. Maybe it's just the lighting.
I enlarged the pic and can see it now. Makes me wonder if they aren't nibbling on each other just one is more carried away with it, but they dif would benefit with Poultry vitamins. the second ducklings feathers other than under it's chin looks pretty normal.

We have 4 sex links that are the same age. The big one is literally twice the size of his sibling.

Pecking, that's what we were thinking at first but my wife was really starting to worry. She didn't want the rest if the flock getting something if she had it. I will get some vitamins for them and separate her from the rest when they are inside. Does that sound like a good idea?

Thank you all for great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom