Sick ducklings, help!

Melbi90

In the Brooder
May 15, 2023
I am a new duck mom. I got 2 Pekins and a Swedish (I was looking for more but that is all they had that day) 10 days ago and they were around 3 to 4 days old. Ducks were doing fine. 4 days ago I went back and was going to get 2 sweedish and a pekin. They also had 7 rouens. The lady gave me a deal I couldn't refuse and I ended up with all 10. I have now noticed in the last few days that one older pekin is sneezing and the other is breathing with its mouth open and lightly panting and moving its tail up and down (not heave panting). last night I noticed one small rouen is panting in the same way. They have a place to clear their nostrils and I have put them all in Luke warm water the last 2 days for 5 mins. They are doing what they are supposed to as far as blowing through their nostrils. What is my next step? I have seen some people say oxine with water in a humidifier but is there anything more natural I can use or us my next step a vet? I would like to try to treat it without going to a vet but I understand that may happem. Thank you for hanging in for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• 20230514_134114.jpg
    20230514_134114.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 34
I don’t know much about ducks but just to be sure is the heat lamp too hot? If the ducks are panting like you said it could be that they are just too hot from the lamp. If they are avoiding the lamp they are most definitely overheated, even just slightly.

The panting is a sign of to much heat. They are to hot
The sneezing is normal especially after they drink
Often they sneeze to clear the nare
What temp is the brooder
Do they have room to cool down
Ducklings don’t need as much heat as chicks do
My little ones are 5-7 days old and heat is 75-80 right now in the brooder

I don’t know much about ducks but just to be sure is the heat lamp too hot? If the ducks are panting like you said it could be that they are just too hot from the lamp. If they are avoiding the lamp they are most definitely overheated, even just slightly.
The twmp is fine and I have a cool area for them to go they normally still stay in the heated area. They still get up and eat and drink normally too. I thought heat at first too.

The panting is a sign of to much heat. They are to hot
The sneezing is normal especially after they drink
Often they sneeze to clear the nare
What temp is the brooder
Do they have room to cool down
Ducklings don’t need as much heat as chicks do
My little ones are 5-7 days old and heat is 75-80 right now in the brooder
Only 1 of 13 is sneezing and it's pretty consistent, the 2 that are panting are different breeds and different ages. I have the light as high as I can and it sits around the same temp as yours. I don't believe it's a heat issue.

I will add I once has a 3 day old get a tiny piece of shaving in his nare anc it took days to come out
Several baths a day plus water deep enough to dunk at all times
He would sneeze a lot more then the normal trying to get it out then the follow the leaders would sneeze to
Once it came out he was back to normal and the rest followed suit

The twmp is fine and I have a cool area for them to go they normally still stay in the heated area. They still get up and eat and drink normally too. I thought heat at first too.
Open mouth breathing is temp
What is the temp it’s at and how warm is the room they are in ?
How big is the brooder
Can you show pics of the full set up

I will add I once has a 3 day old get a tiny piece of shaving in his nare anc it took days to come out
Several baths a day plus water deep enough to dunk at all times
He would sneeze a lot more then the normal trying to get it out then the follow the leaders would sneeze to
Once it came out he was back to normal and the rest followed suit
I will try doing more baths. I'm just afraid the more temperature changes the harder it would be to heal. I dry them well before adding them back to the brooder but still. Thank you for the advice.

Only 1 of 13 is sneezing and it's pretty consistent, the 2 that are panting are different breeds and different ages. I have the light as high as I can and it sits around the same temp as yours. I don't believe it's a heat issue.
The older ones would need less heat then the younger
My guess is baby has a little fluff , feed or shavings in his nare
It’s very rare for a baby to develop a cold when they are indoors
You would see more signs of it was

Back
Top Bottom