Sick ducks!

JessieAhna

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2016
Hello!
I've been raising ducks for a few years, but I have a terrible time with a sickness that I can't seem to identify. I can't find anything on line, and the local vets don't treat ducks. I give the ducks clean water and organic food each day, let them free range in my yard and pond (no chemicals anywhere) give them brewer's yeast periodically... but every once in a while one or a few of them starts slowing down, gets very weak and clumsy, and dies after a few days. Toward the end their feathers look ragged and wet. I've lost so many ducks this way, and I can't stand to lose any more! I've tried electrolytes, apple cider vinegar, pepper flakes, and a variety of herbs that have been recommended to me. I isolate the sick ducks, and go months without losing any, then out of nowhere it happens again. They live with chickens, who have never gotten sick. Does anyone have any idea what's happening, or what I can do? I really appreciate any help.

Hello!
I've been raising ducks for a few years, but I have a terrible time with a sickness that I can't seem to identify. I can't find anything on line, and the local vets don't treat ducks. I give the ducks clean water and organic food each day, let them free range in my yard and pond (no chemicals anywhere) give them brewer's yeast periodically... but every once in a while one or a few of them starts slowing down, gets very weak and clumsy, and dies after a few days. Toward the end their feathers look ragged and wet. I've lost so many ducks this way, and I can't stand to lose any more! I've tried electrolytes, apple cider vinegar, pepper flakes, and a variety of herbs that have been recommended to me. I isolate the sick ducks, and go months without losing any, then out of nowhere it happens again. They live with chickens, who have never gotten sick. Does anyone have any idea what's happening, or what I can do? I really appreciate any help.
what’s your duck to drake ratio?

The male has been around forever. He seems to survive every time this hits my flock.

Hello!
I had a friend who is a vet look at the stool samples, and he didn't see anything microscopic of concern. He doesn't usually work with poultry though. Please help if you have any ideas... I really want to be able to raise ducks, akd am just failing miserably!

Back
Top Bottom