Sick EE please advise!

Quote:
I don't know but get her away from the rest of the flock until you figure it out!

Anybody have any ideas? I am going to separate her now. I think she has been laying for over a week but it could have been the other EE that was laying. If that's the case she just laid her first egg because I had 2 in the nest box today. One large and one small blue egg.

Quote:
I agree that you should seperate her. I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but I think you might want to look down her throat using a flashlight to see if there's an obstruction of some sort. Also, you could use a Q-tip and stick it 1 inch down her throat, gently swab throat and gently pull it out. If you see a red in color "Y" shaped object on the Q-tip, it's gapeworm. Check for obstruction first before using Q-tip. If it's all clear, I dont know what else it could be. Good luck.

More info if helpful.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Easter egger 7 months old 5-6lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
See video
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Just saw today.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
None of them are acting funny.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
May have laid first egg today. Vent looks fine.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Was eating layer pellets/water have not verified that she was today.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Have not seen her poop.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Video in the link.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
House is a coup closed off with ventilation on the top of the structure. Attached 4x12 run.

It looks to me as if she has aspirated. i'm not sure what you can do for her. My understanding is that if a chicken aspirates it turns into pneumonia and they can die. But, my expertise is limited on this. i don't know about gapeworm. Can you get her to a vet? If not, get her into a crate, put a heat lamp on her. Don't force any food or water on her until you know what is going on. If it is respiratory illness that has just surfaced, you should see other signs such as a runny nose. You will want to treat with Tylan, either injectible or water soluble. i hope she gets better!

Throat looked clear. She does not have any discharge at all. Crop did not feel full. I put her in my other tractor by herself for tonight. I did not see anything on the cutip when I put it down her throat.

Back
Top Bottom