Sick Emu Chick

birdmanmax

Songster
Dec 27, 2016
Central Michigan
I guess I spoke to soon saying I have yet to have a problem. Welp one of my chicks (over 2 months but under 3 months old) is sick or acting rather odd. It is the smallest chick the egg only weighed 525 when I put it in the incubator this winter. Well he/she is not running around nearly as much as the other chicks, having trouble keeping up with the others. It could be that she is just a runt but I'm not sure. I don't here any coughing or trouble breathing. He/she still walks and runs occasionally but use to run right with the pack (this behavior of not being able to keep up was noticed today). He/she is still eating and drinking but something just seems off. He/she always has its head right up to its body. Turkeys and chickens are with them during the day and I was thinking a turkey my have caused some injury but again not sure.
Here are some pictures:
IMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3548.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG

Ah, how sad. This has happened to me, and I could have run about crying at my inability to understand and help. Farewell, little welp.

Okay thanks everyone for the support but I'm obviously doing something wrong. We have another "runt" almost acting the same, just way behind the others. Real slow and much smaller. I dewormed him and put electrolytes in their water I don't know what to do. I can't hear any raspiness nor can I see any discharge from the eyes from the poop I've seen from that one it was a bit watery but nothing to out of the ordinary. Can someone please help?

Im so sorry to hear that.... is there any chance you have an exotic or avian vet around you could take her to?
I would definitely quarantine. How's her poo look? Have you tried treating for coccoidosis? Maybe try Corid. At this point it couldn't hurt right?

I'll try corid but I don't know the appropriate dosing. I want to quarantine but the poor chick would be all alone(I don't notice anything spreading or weaknesss in any other birds this could be totally unrelated from the other case.) and I would love to take it to a vet but that is just not an option for us. I may end up calling some though and see if they have an insight. I also try to get a pic of the poo.

Back
Top Bottom