Sick female muscovy?

mark-rfuqaehc

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2019
Dear all,

I am relatively new to keeping ducks.

I have one female Muscovy duck that has a protruded lower "belly". It's been like this for a long time. I didn't pay much attention since she seemed healthy (otherwise). In the past week or so the other ducks have started to chase her away when they are eating and I have to feed her separately. That made me take another look at her and now I worry that she might be ill?

I once had a goose that had an egg stuck and I had to help get it out of her - was wondering if something similar might be happening here? However the goose stopped eating completely and has liquid coming out of the rear end. This is not the case with the duck.

Please see attached photo.

Thanks for any comments.

Regards, M

Duck.jpeg

Is a vet an option?

I will have to investigate if there is a vet around here - it's not easy to travel to larger village/town because of corona restrictions.

Also - as I am new to keeping muscovy I wanted to ask a bit here first in case it's a known/normal situation. If it's something serious that requires a vet - I will do that.

Is she acting normal every other way? My muscovies had that boat shape too, some bigger than others. Muscovies can be bullys to each other as well. Let me tag in @Miss Lydia if she can't help she may know someone who can

Yes, I believe so. Apart from keeping a bit to herself.
I inherited her from former owner so I am not sure how old - but not young for sure.

May I suggest that you get a baseline weight on her, then weigh her every few days. If She is acting 100% normal and not losing weight I think she'll be okay.

Thanks. I will try. Even though they know me - the ducks really don't like me trying to handle them. I am pretty sure she is not loosing weight.

Back
Top Bottom