Sick from Wazine after dosing. What to do?

sally4500

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
NH
I wormed my 6 chickens with Wazine on Thursday in a community water bucket. My RI Red started to get sick 2 days later. Yesterday she was slow to move and not looking well, but eating out in the yard. I thought it was from the wormer, so gave it a day to see if she got better. Today she is not moving at all, and sitting pretty much all the time.

Is this common if there was a build up of worms? I never actually saw worms, but all but 2 of them have had runny stool and poopy butts for the last 2 weeks.

How can I help her?

Could the poopy butts be something else?

Yes, after 10 days I was going to use another wormer. I have zimectrin gold at home and safeguard. But can I help her now? I am giving cidar vinegar and water and yogurt. Tx.

Unfortunately I am at work all day so cant take a pic, but I called my daughter and she said there is yellow poop on her butt and her comb is flat on one side and a little purple.

That doesn't sound good. Yellow poop can mean many things, so can purple comb. This sounds like emergency to me.

Is the yellow poo foamy?

It is possible that the hens are also suffering from coccidiosis (immunocompromised from the worms).

I don't know what is wrong with your hens...but if they were mine I'd give them some Corid and see if there was improvement in 24 hours. The treatment is a 5 day treatment but it sounds like she is in danger with her comb now turning colors.

Here:
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/poultryprofi...natomy_and_Physiology/Chapter3_digestive.html
bottom of page types of poo...could be other things of course as Kathy said

I personally have seen my chickens die right in front of me as I was worming them with this yellow foamy poo, and worms visible in the poo. I should have treated with Corid after the wormer. Maybe your situation is similar.

You can take a poo sample to a vet and test for cocci. Also worms (there is a possibility for false negatives with fecal float for worms).

I hope your hens get better...let me reiterate that I don't know what the problem is. You definitely need to retreat for worms to break the life cycle too. Make sure to toss eggs.

I wormed my 6 chickens with Wazine on Thursday in a community water bucket. My RI Red started to get sick 2 days later. Yesterday she was slow to move and not looking well, but eating out in the yard. I thought it was from the wormer, so gave it a day to see if she got better. Today she is not moving at all, and sitting pretty much all the time.

Is this common if there was a build up of worms? I never actually saw worms, but all but 2 of them have had runny stool and poopy butts for the last 2 weeks.

How can I help her?

Could the poopy butts be something else?
If your hen had a heavy load of large roundworms, then there's a good possibility that there might be a blockage or toxic dead worm overload in her digestive tract. Perhaps a molasses flush might cleanse her out, not sure though....she might be too weak to withstand the flush, she may not survive.

If your hen had a heavy load of large roundworms, then there's a good possibility that there might be a blockage or toxic dead worm overload in her digestive tract. Perhaps a molasses flush might cleanse her out, not sure though....she might be too weak to withstand the flush, she may not survive.
Good point... perhaps the liver is having a hard time with the toxins, hence the yellow poop? I would tube fluids, then fluids and food, but you know me, lol, Ms. Anal about Tube Feeding.
hide.gif

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom