Sick gal

jewellmcdonald

Hatching
Nov 17, 2018
Hi everyone I and Tommie and I have a sick gal on my hands. I brought her in thinking ok she must be sick she can't really stand and walk. Over the next few days her appitiap has been good until today she wouldn't even move herself out of the sun by the window I had rechecked her feet and seen a scab in which I looked up and found it could be bumble foot so I soaked her feet and took the scab off no puss or anything underneath just pink skin I put honey on her foot and wrapped her up to keep warm. Now her neck seems to be funny she lays it back. Im at a loss with what could be wrong or how to fix her any advice would be great thank you.

Can you post a photo of whatever she’s doing with her neck? She might be adjusting her crop. Can you che k if her crop is full before she sleeps and see if it’s empty in the morning?
Also, how old is this girl and what do you feed her? The more information you can provide, the better we can help you figure out what’s wrong. Thanks and best wishes with her!

Welcome to BYC. How old is your chicken? Have you added any new birds recently? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I think that it could be a number of things wrong, but Mareks disease comes to mind, especially if she is having wry neck or torticolis. Pictures of her and her foot may be helpful. Can you hold a lid or cup of water with electrolytes and vitamins up to her beak to drink often? Cooked egg and wet chicken feed are also good to offer. Describe what her droppings look like as well.

Can you post a photo of whatever she’s doing with her neck? She might be adjusting her crop. Can you che k if her crop is full before she sleeps and see if it’s empty in the morning?
Also, how old is this girl and what do you feed her? The more information you can provide, the better we can help you figure out what’s wrong. Thanks and best wishes with her!
So im unsure of her age she was given to me over the summer. I also do not have a picture of her craning her neck I did readjesther towel to help hold her neck she seemed to be doing ok with that and a heating pad on low to warm her after her bath. I also checked to see if she was egg bound the other day and I could not feel anything at the time haven't checked since.

Welcome to BYC. How old is your chicken? Have you added any new birds recently? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I think that it could be a number of things wrong, but Mareks disease comes to mind, especially if she is having wry neck or torticolis. Pictures of her and her foot may be helpful. Can you hold a lid or cup of water with electrolytes and vitamins up to her beak to drink often? Cooked egg and wet chicken feed are also good to offer. Describe what her droppings look like as well.
Im unsure of her age as she was given to me I give her the egg layer scratch baught from our local feed store. I recently got two other chickens from her old flock added about a month or so ago so no new birds really just old friends.

Back
Top Bottom