Sick Gander.

poppins

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 20, 2015
My goose is a 12 years old farm goose. He is eating and drinking but has been eating a lot of dirt and sand, I wormed him a few days ago.
His legs are shakey, don't know how long before he can't walk any more, his mate died 3 years ago of much the same symptoms.
Been giving him Probiotic powder you put in with his water and another bowl of water with niacin supplement B3.
We have a lot of other water birds that come into the yard looking for seeds. Hope someone knows what it could be as the vet gives me all different answers
I live away from town and the vet, so taking him to a bird vet is to far to carry him in the car and he would not go into box or cage. Vet told me there is many things that a goose can have wrong with them.
Thank you.

I'm sorry your going through this. It's not a good feeling knowing one of your animals isn't doing good. I've done a bit of research on this. Has there been a sudden diet change lately? and is their drinking water good quality? Do they have swelling in his legs? I'm so sorry you have to experience this.

MistyandLuna

Thank you for answering, water is good tank water always fresh in where he sleeps, but I found some water in a container which was dirty with all the other wild ducks ect were drinking from it, he has been drinking from it also, just found that out a few days ago, so I removed it and no swelling of feet he looks normal he sits down a lot and unsteady on legs now and again, No change in diet at all expect not much grass as before as we are in drought, so he has lucerne hay which I bought 2 days ago and he nibbles on that. Iam on 5 acres and also have a small dam. Thank you

MistyandLuna

Thank you for answering, water is good tank water always fresh in where he sleeps, but I found some water in a container which was dirty with all the other wild ducks ect were drinking from it, he has been drinking from it also, just found that out a few days ago, so I removed it and no swelling of feet he looks normal he sits down a lot and unsteady on legs now and again, No change in diet at all expect not much grass as before as we are in drought, so he has lucerne hay which I bought 2 days ago and he nibbles on that. Iam on 5 acres and also have a small dam. Thank you
That's good to hear everything else is fine. Maybe he is developing arthritis since he is an older goose, were there any other symptoms his mate died from a few years ago?

MistyandLuna, Nothing else but I did notice before she died she drank a lot, she went off her food and I couldnt get her to eat but all she did was drink. He is drinking a lot but thats normal for him and he is eating but is not cleaning him self proplery as a lot of his feathers look scraggy. Thanks.

MistyandLuna, Nothing else but I did notice before she died she drank a lot, she went off her food and I couldnt get her to eat but all she did was drink. He is drinking a lot but thats normal for him and he is eating but is not cleaning him self proplery as a lot of his feathers look scraggy. Thanks.
Okay, well I would just continue to monitor him if no other symptoms are showing, and if he is fine eating and drinking. If you really are worried about him, you could always take him to an avian vet. I know it's far away, I've had to go a bit of a ways for one of my animals. And you wouldn't need to put him in a box or carrier, I know my geese wouldn't either, they would flail around lol, so you can get goose diapers if you want too, since I know that he'd make a mess, or if you don't have any diapers, you could just lay out a few puppy pads and have him be on that during the ride.

These are non specific symptoms so the vet is right saying it could be many things. Eating dirt “pica” can be a symptom of gastrointestinal upset or iron deficiency, among other things, it’s hard to say.
Wobbly legs could indicate an infection or metal poisoning. They’ll eat dirt and drink excessively to try to relieve the discomfort. You could try giving activated charcoal and b complex, it may help but without knowing what toxin it’s hard to say if it will make a difference, if it’s lead or zinc they’ll need a vet.

It could be bacterial or viral also, maybe botulism if he had access to an off puddle or something wrong with the organ health.

All I can really suggest if a vet isn’t an option is to isolate him somewhere safe, warm and comfortable, get him b complex and maybe poultry nutri-drench to boost his vitamins, and give him as much greens and fruit as he’ll eat, and maybe add water to his feed so that it’s a soupy mash, they love playing in soupy mash and if he’s playing in it he’s probably eating it.

UPDATE: on my sick goose. After 2 vets told me to put my goose down I refused as I wanted to try everything I could get my hands on. I did a lot of searching on the internet and saw that someone said not to use the medicine I was using on him but to use Panacur. The vet said as he was to weak and just use a small dose so I though I would give him half of it. I gave him 2 mls for 4 days. After a few days he started wanting to get out of his pen so I knew he was going to make it. He had parasite worms that nearly killed him. I went to the pet shop and got a big bag of baby bird food as he would not eat, he was to weak, so I fed him 6 times a day with a syringe to the side of his mouth. after 6 weeks of feeding him he ate grass for the first time then seed a few days later. He is now a bit fat from all my feeding but he is so well and I spoil him with tidbits.

UPDATE: on my sick goose. After 2 vets told me to put my goose down I refused as I wanted to try everything I could get my hands on. I did a lot of searching on the internet and saw that someone said not to use the medicine I was using on him but to use Panacur. The vet said as he was to weak and just use a small dose so I though I would give him half of it. I gave him 2 mls for 4 days. After a few days he started wanting to get out of his pen so I knew he was going to make it. He had parasite worms that nearly killed him. I went to the pet shop and got a big bag of baby bird food as he would not eat, he was to weak, so I fed him 6 times a day with a syringe to the side of his mouth. after 6 weeks of feeding him he ate grass for the first time then seed a few days later. He is now a bit fat from all my feeding but he is so well and I spoil him with tidbits.
This is wonderful!!

Back
Top Bottom