Sick GLW NEED HELP ASAP!

Aj1911

Songster
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
1) What type of bird , age and weight.

GLW, 1 year and 4 months, about 5-6lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

not running with the other looks depressed tired and not ver energetic like normal and shes puffed up like shes cold also shes laying down alot more then normal

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

none

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

i dont know

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

drinking normal water and rooster booster poultry cell mixed lightly in water

rouge organic chicken layer with oyster shell and a scoop of 28% game bird mixed in (everyone eats this) last night i added wheat to it cause it was cold.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

runny whitish yellow not solid at all

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

none

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

myself as no vets here treat chickens.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

not at this time

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

standard chicken coop with 2 open walls (they get one of them closed in winter) and pine shavings for bedding.

I am not at all an expert, and have only been a member of the site for about a week, but I notice this comes up a lot (as it is what I have been through as well)

Your experience sounds similar as mine.

First question that was asked to me was... Have you wormed your flock lately/at all? I didn't know you had to, and I have never seen worms outside of the body.

Just wormed my sick girl yesterday and she is already doing so much better, solid poop eating and drinking on her own, and making her adorable noises and moving around. Still not a hundred percent, but doing good.

Also, make sure you get fluids and food into your chicken asap. Cause if it is the same thing as mine, we lost one really quickly and almost lost the second before we got the gist something was wrong.

Again, just a tip?!

ok what should i worm with? should i worm everyone?? should i worm my guineas??

i heard pumpkin seeds are a good dewormer but my pumpkins aren't ready yet.

Well, I did Wazine first, but they say you have to repeat it again before it becomes more effective.

I just did her first cause she was in DIRE need, plan on doing the whole group tomorrow (as I noticed other chickens with yellowish poop) That way we can go into winter all cleaned out
smile.png

Only problem is that you cannot eat the eggs for 1-3 weeks I am finding (it just depends on the person) Which is no problem for us cause we get about 2.5 dz a day and have about 20 in the fridge!!! so a little less eggs would be nice right now
smile.png

After the Wazine, i'll probably dose them with ivermectin.

Both of these can be found at TSC (if you know what that is) or your local farmer store. (or purchased online)

Do a search for deworming chickens in the search field, there is a lot of good info out there.

Also when you are done you will need to put the good bacterial back in their systems by feeding yogurt. I mixed my plain non fat with pumpkin puree and they loved it!!!! Some chicken lovers out there give them yogurt once a week to help. Its like a special treat!!!

Pumpkin is NOT a dewormer, its more of like... keeping things at bay. It will not get rid of a whole infestation but help the size on the infestation stay down.

Also, if they are not eating, you need to make sure you get some protein in them. Cat food is suppose to be high in it, and I was always told (working at a vet clinic) to feed motherless baby birds peanut butter and dog/cat food crushed in to make a paste then cut it with water. Thats what I used and my chicken seemed to like it.

This is all I have learned from posting symptoms that where similar to yours... if you would like to read my post, I am sure there are things I left out.

Again, i am not a expert but it sounds so much

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=249009

well my hens poop looks different is all liquid and whitish yellow like a really really light yellow

but other wise similar.

lol ok thanx for the help

i'm going to try cayenne pepper as it is recommended for a natural dewormer.

ok update

she was walking around like she had to lay an egg so i thought she was egg bound

so we gave her a bath and massage

well no egg came out and we couldn't feel anything so after 30mins we used a blow dryer to dry her (she enjoyed this part) and put her back in the coop to get some sleep

when i put her back in the coop she was perky and spunky so we will see in teh morning.

she didnt make it i found her in a nest box this morning
hit.gif

she is my first chicken to ever lose and i'm pretty broken up about it.

R.I.P Goldie you will be missed

here is a pic of her

DSC03073.jpg

Back
Top Bottom