Sick goat?!

abbymckinn

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Our goat had these babies in feb. and we gave them to a family friend. Clyde's (the boy) stomach keeps bulging out while Bonnie is fine? They eat all the same stuff, exempt Bonnie gets grain. Clyde is a wether, any ideas on why he keeps doing this?
[/IMG]

Sorry, Clyde's picture didnt go.

She said its more so in the evening, when he has eaten more. Could it be bloat and they give him baking soda?

I question the knowledge of a vet who wormed them when he/she saw no evidence of worms. Using chemical wormers when they aren't needed can indeed be harmful as it contributes towards the resistance of wormers. If the goat isn't showing any signs of being ill, I wouldn't be concerned. Just looks like a full, developing rumen to me.

I question the knowledge of a vet who wormed them when he/she saw no evidence of worms. Using chemical wormers when they aren't needed can indeed be harmful as it contributes towards the resistance of wormers. If the goat isn't showing any signs of being ill, I wouldn't be concerned. Just looks like a full, developing rumen to me.
No harm in worming, period. FYI, fecal floats can be false negatives.

-Kathy

We'll have to agree to disagree on there being no harm in worming when there are no symptoms of a worm load.
Most vets I know, and I know many, would suggest worming as false negative fecal do happen. That is a fact and one should not wait until an animal is passing worms to worm it. Did you know that most horse people worm their horses 4-6 times a year?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom