Sick goose advice please

littlebrownpam

Hatching
Feb 3, 2023
Hi,
I've got a sick goose and can't figure out what's wrong with him. I think I'll get the vet but if anyone has any ideas?
It's hard to describe, but it's almost like he's air bathing, like washing, dipping and rubbing his head around his body, but just stood on the ground.
He's started to loose a little patch of feathers just above his chest, but I think this is where he's rubbing his head and neck all the time.
He is eating and drinking, and up and about all day with Mrs. Goose. He's not lethargic, just seems agitated as much as anything and maybe like he's trying to dislodge something.
I feel like he's losing weight around under his chin.
We've given him Ivermectin a couple of weeks ago. Also tried olive oil and gently massaging his neck.
He is really unsettled though and I'm at a bit of a loss!
Thanks in advance!
Pam

p.s. also can't see any mites on him.

I'm not sure if the dose is doubled but can you give him b complex pill and squirt vitamin e capsules into his beak? I know he's a male but calcium citrate with magnesium can also be soothing on his nervous system. How is he eating? What are his poops like? Does he have a goose friend?

I'm not sure if the dose is doubled but can you give him b complex pill and squirt vitamin e capsules into his beak? I know he's a male but calcium citrate with magnesium can also be soothing on his nervous system. How is he eating? What are his poops like? Does he have a goose friend?
Thanks, I'll have a look at what you've suggested. He's eating, maybe not quite as much as he was. Poos look normal. Yes, lives with his mrs :)

Hi,
I've got a sick goose and can't figure out what's wrong with him. I think I'll get the vet but if anyone has any ideas?
It's hard to describe, but it's almost like he's air bathing, like washing, dipping and rubbing his head around his body, but just stood on the ground.
He's started to loose a little patch of feathers just above his chest, but I think this is where he's rubbing his head and neck all the time.
He is eating and drinking, and up and about all day with Mrs. Goose. He's not lethargic, just seems agitated as much as anything and maybe like he's trying to dislodge something.
I feel like he's losing weight around under his chin.
We've given him Ivermectin a couple of weeks ago. Also tried olive oil and gently massaging his neck.
He is really unsettled though and I'm at a bit of a loss!
Thanks in advance!
Pam

p.s. also can't see any mites on him.

How do his droppings look? Have you felt his keel? If it’s pronounced and feels sharply thin and bony he’s underweight.
Could you post a picture of him.

As for the behavior you described that sounds normal, it sounds like a mix of dry bathing, courting behavior, and preening.
Geese and ganders will also shed their chest feathers during nesting season, some more than others. It will look like they only have down in a big patch
However if there’s bare skin showing that is not normal and it could be due to mites, injury, or a skin infection.

I have no idea why he’s losing weight around his chin, geese don’t really store fat in their face, some have a dewlap but that’s just extra skin.

Last edited:
How do his droppings look? Have you felt his keel? If it’s pronounced and feels sharply thin and bony he’s underweight.
Could you post a picture of him.

As for the behavior you described that sounds normal, it sounds like a mix of dry bathing, courting behavior, and preening.
Geese and ganders will also shed their chest feathers during nesting season, some more than others. It will look like they only have down in a big patch
However if there’s bare skin showing that is not normal and it could be due to mites, injury, or a skin infection.

I have no idea why he’s losing weight around his chin, geese don’t really store fat in their face, some have a dewlap but that’s just extra skin.
Thank you so much for this, you've really put my mind at ease. You're absolutely right, she's started laying, so I think just courting etc. He isn't thin and just looked at pictures of African geese online and they have a dangly bit (dewlap?) under their chins, I think he's just started to grow his :)

Thank you so much for this, you've really put my mind at ease. You're absolutely right, she's started laying, so I think just courting etc. He isn't thin and just looked at pictures of African geese online and they have a dangly bit (dewlap?) under their chins, I think he's just started to grow his :)
You’re an awesome gooshe parent for looking out for him!

Back
Top Bottom