Sick gosling...please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amaliayosa, Apr 14, 2009.

1. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Ordered 2 sebastopol goslings along with 14 ducks from Mcmurray . They arrived last week. One of the goslings could not stand, it was very weak as well. It died the next day.
    Now almost a week later the other gosling is no longer able to stand, it was active all along and now can only lay day, and scoot about somewhat.
    I am at a loss as to what I should do for this little guy.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Amy

2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Oh, Amy. I wish I knew how to better help you. I have felt that same sort of desperation.
    Maybe add some electrolytes to the drinking water. Has the gosling been eating well all along? Are you using medicated chick starter? I have heard this isn't good for baby geese & ducks, as they do not tolerate the medication added to prevent cocci very well. Then on the other hand I have heard it doesn't effect them adversely, but if I were you, I'd stop it and get any of that food out of the brooder if I were using that kind. I've also heard that you can feed a weak baby human baby food. I personally did this and used a syringe, stopping when I could feel the little crop getting full. I would repeat this every hour or so and finally stopped when the gosling was about two weeks old as it started eating better on his own at that time. It may also need some type of antibiotic. Have the droppings been normal? It's just so hard to say.
    Good luck - wish I could help more.

3. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    how's he doing?

4. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Still looks ok, besides the fact that he cannot stand up or walk. I have him isolated, gave him vitamins poly-sol, and put two small cups of food and water in the box.
    It does not look good.

5. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    I was told to give them sugar water or gatorade or pedialyte and see if he perks up...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by