Sick Guinea post Raccoon Attack?

Heni Penny

Songster
9 Years
Nov 14, 2014
About 8 weeks ago our guineas were at roost in a pine when a raccoon attacked. One of the roosters seemingly protected the hen that was being attacked and was attacked himself. All of the commotion woke me up and I ended the attack. Both guineas survived- no blood, “just” feather loss and trauma. Except the hen never really could fly well after (and 1 week ago was attacked and killed by a raccoon while free ranging). The rooster could fly but it seems he has been unwell since - he is very thin, still king of the guineas but becoming thinner and thinner. I gave them electrolytes for a bit after, they have occasional fruits/veggies for snacks, access to grain crumbles, and free range during the day. Any thoughts on how to help him? He still mates with the hens, and usually runs the other guinea rooster off, although yesterday the other male did run him off.

He’s doing about the same. Eating, drinking, foraging, alarming, being sassy with the other guinea rooster and the chicken rooster. The other guinea rooster seems to note he’s not quite right.

About 8 weeks ago our guineas were at roost in a pine when a raccoon attacked. One of the roosters seemingly protected the hen that was being attacked and was attacked himself. All of the commotion woke me up and I ended the attack. Both guineas survived- no blood, “just” feather loss and trauma. Except the hen never really could fly well after (and 1 week ago was attacked and killed by a raccoon while free ranging). The rooster could fly but it seems he has been unwell since - he is very thin, still king of the guineas but becoming thinner and thinner. I gave them electrolytes for a bit after, they have occasional fruits/veggies for snacks, access to grain crumbles, and free range during the day. Any thoughts on how to help him? He still mates with the hens, and usually runs the other guinea rooster off, although yesterday the other male did run him off.
Was the hen that died his mate?

In short, no. She did her own thing, sometimes hanging out him, sometimes w the other guinea rooster.

Back
Top Bottom