sick guineas

jake1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
Hi, I am new to BYC, so I'm not too sure if I am doing this correctly, but if I am I need some help. I own 23 guineas. I have been raising guineas for pleasure for quite a few years. Last year we had a beautiful hatch. Beautiful keets, but one by one they all died. I thought I had the problem fixed, but this year is proving to be a rerun of last year. The symptoms are brown splat droppings, and then they start doing this wavy thing with their necks and keeping their heads tucked in. I spoke with a chicken vet on line and he sent me some antibiotics for a number of different ailments. Well, long story short all but 2 died. I followed the instructions to a tee. The nightmare is starting again and I am heartsick over this. I separated the one that is sick, gave the antibiotics but he is not getting better. We have been taking such good care of them so I can't understand what is going on, and I don't know the name of the disease so that I can treat them correctly. When they were keeps, they were on medicated feed. I have had guineas for at least 12 years and I have never ever had a sick guinea like this. They free range during the day from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, then they have a beautiful coop to come into at night to get fed and to roost. This is breaking my heart and I hope someone can help. I know this is long, but I take this very seriously and take very good care of them. Just love em! Thanks so very much for any help anyone can give. jake1

If you let the ones that last year out it could of been somthing toxic they ate... I just had 2 of my guinneas die last night. We have only one left. I have been talking to people about it and most of them think that they ate somthing toxic or that mice or rats got into. They carry diseases that can kill birds ( guineas ) I am learning. My last ones got weak and were stumbling around and died in the middle of the night. I gave them all bird vitamins and it seems to be helping the last one. Keep us updated on how they are doing!

Thank you jadenthechicken, I will keep you posted. What kind of vitamins? Just wish I knew what kind of disease this is so at least I can give it a shot. I am sorry for your losses too. I always had such hearty birds I just can't believe this is happening again. jake1

No, I have never done that. I never knew, and no one ever suggested that. They all said it was coccidiosis, so I had antibiotics to treat them, but obviously it didn't work. What kind of wormer and do you think it is too late? The antibiotic I used is sulfadimethoxine. It is for treating a number of ailments. The wavy neck thing is awful. Thanks for any help. jake 1

Cocci usually from the post read on here usually presents with bloody stool, and most recommend treating it with Corrid. You can search for that on here. I have not had to deal with that so far. On the worming my chickens had loose runny brown poo and I treated everyone guineas included with Valbazen 1/2 ml per bird. Second round 10 days later. Maybe someone will chime in that has had the same experiences.

Thanks, I have read that safeguard for worms. Would anyone know about that? Does worms cause the symptoms that I have described? I know I seem desperate, but I am. Don't want to lose them all again!! jake 1

Never used the safeguard, I use the valbazen on dogs for worms so had it on hand for the chickens.. Check on here on treatment with safeguard. Check for symptoms also.

Hi another thought, look into botulism on the forum I believe it is also called limp neck in chickens. Maybe that would go with the neck movement you are describing. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom