Sick hen acting confused and not eating at all PLEASE HELP!

I am not the best on treating worms, but the green poop may mean she is starving. Is it little bits of bright green? Can you post a photo? Is her keel bone pronounced?

Are you absolutely sure she is drinking plenty of fluid? If you are certain she is hydrated, you need to get her eating. Sometimes sick chickens will find egg irresistible when they will eat nothing else. Can you offer her scrambled egg? I’ve given it raw, too, and they love it. Once she has a little appetite, you might try making a mash of her pelleted or crumbled feed mixed with warm water until it’s oatmeal consistency and see if she’ll eat that.
I will post pictures tomorrow. It is dark green in some areas and then looks pretty bright in others. What is the green poop caused by? I have been offering her scrambled eggs since day 2 and she has no interest in it at all. The only reason she is eating is because I'm hand feeding her and by that I mean gently opening her beak and putting it in there so she has to swallow it. I'm also giving her nutridrench in the water I am using to soak her crumble in and also in a syringe.

Hello everyone. My chicken Emmy is about 1.5 years old, she lives in an enclosed run with 12 of her sisters. Shes always been spunky and quite the leader considering her small stature (bantam barnevelder)
About a week and a half ago we noticed she was not eating or being herself. We immediately brought her inside and started monitoring her and noticed right away that she had worms in her stool. This was last Wednesday. Come Thursday we started hand feeding wet crumble and egg and started giving her ACV and garlic to maybe try to help her the natural way. By saturday she was still not eating or drinking on her own so i went to TS and got Panacur. I gave her Panacur when i got back home. A pea size amount. Fast forward to today she is still not being herself or eating on her own. She just seems "drunk" and confused. She will sit up and close her eyes and just rock a litttle to the sides until she loses her balance and regains it quickly and starts doing it again or shell just lay down with her head forward. She's lost a couple off feathers also, maybe about 6 to 8 since last Wednesday. She is not dehydrated. I have given her nutridrench and rooster booster vitamins and electrolytes mixed in with her crumble and water. I dont know what to do to help her anymore. Her poop is green now but I'm thinking maybe it's the nutridrench since it's a very dark color before ingestion...idk!!

Should i repeat panacur? If so when? And how much?
Aside from trying to recover from worms what else can this be?
If it is her trying to rid herself from the worms, how long can I expect this to last?
What else can I do to make sure she doesn't die?
Whatever information helps! Please someone help me! I don't want to lose my favorite girl!
I'm not really a vet or a chicken expert but I don't have to be a vet to know that I don't think it's a good idea to give a hen that much medicine. So it's better you ask an expert or a vet for information. Hope your hen gets better!

I'm not really a vet or a chicken expert but I don't have to be a vet to know that I don't think it's a good idea to give a hen that much medicine. So it's better you ask an expert or a vet for information. Hope your hen gets better!
Thank you for your reply. As fas as medicine I have only given Panacur.

I am not the best on treating worms, but the green poop may mean she is starving. Is it little bits of bright green? Can you post a photo? Is her keel bone pronounced?

Are you absolutely sure she is drinking plenty of fluid? If you are certain she is hydrated, you need to get her eating. Sometimes sick chickens will find egg irresistible when they will eat nothing else. Can you offer her scrambled egg? I’ve given it raw, too, and they love it. Once she has a little appetite, you might try making a mash of her pelleted or crumbled feed mixed with warm water until it’s oatmeal consistency and see if she’ll eat that.
Bingo.

I will post pictures tomorrow. It is dark green in some areas and then looks pretty bright in others. What is the green poop caused by? I have been offering her scrambled eggs since day 2 and she has no interest in it at all. The only reason she is eating is because I'm hand feeding her and by that I mean gently opening her beak and putting it in there so she has to swallow it. I'm also giving her nutridrench in the water I am using to soak her crumble in and also in a syringe.
I believe the green is from bile from not eating enough. Good job feeding her. Would you be open to learning to tube feed her to help get some energy back?

Thank you for your reply. As fas as medicine I have only given Panacur.
Well I guess it because of starvation I've had a lot of chicks and rooster and even hens who had that same illnes and all I did was ask an expert and I would give her some vitamins in her water. And I would feed her raw eggs and vegetables.

Back
Top Bottom