Sick hen also!

prinellie9542

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Iowa
I have a Barred Rock who the other hens are picking on. Now I noticed that the backs of her thighs are plucked clean!! It is so cold here lately...I am not only worried about her being cold but why are they picking on her? Is she sick? I have 5 hens all 5 are different breeds but have never had them do this before. Please give me some feedback! Thank you.

If she is lowest on the pecking order, they will pick on her if they are bored. You should give them some fruit (apples, bananas) or veggies (cabbage, kale), it will distract them and give them some necessary vitamins.

If the BR that is being picked on is fluffed up, in a corner, lacks a diet or any other abnormal symptoms, she could be sick.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, I will try the fruit. They are terribly bored - I let them out last week but we have had so much snow they would hardly come out of the coop. I suppose she is the lowest on the pecking order - she is the smallest - I have a Red Star, Rhode Island Red, Light Brahma and a Black Australorp. She sleeps alone on the roost and keeps pretty much to herself and is the last to eat... but how/why do they pick her thighs? Well, thank you anyway for the info. I will try to keep them occupied. :{

Back
Top Bottom