Sick hen. Can you help figure it out?

chickflick

Free Ranging
17 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Dimondale
I have a buttercup, gosh, she is at least 4 yrs old. She has not been feeling good. Her comb has folded over on one side. Not eating. She stands and hangs her head and sleeps. I just put her in the brooder so don't know what her poop looks like yet. Any ideas?

I don't see any mites/lice. I put wazine in the water 10 days ago, and was planning on doing the valbazen today. Also worried it would be too much for her. I did the wazine in the water in Jan but never got to the valbazen because I was sick all winter. She eats a little. But, doesn't lay down to sleep. Stands. Wings are drooping too. Poops look normal.

I have a buttercup, gosh, she is at least 4 yrs old. She has not been feeling good. Her comb has folded over on one side. Not eating. She stands and hangs her head and sleeps. I just put her in the brooder so don't know what her poop looks like yet. Any ideas?
Had the same problem with my hen last week. She laid a shell-less egg. The white and yolk came out, but the membrane remained inside. It was only her second egg of the season. She was brought to the vet, put on .1ml of Clavamox 2xs a day and Cal-Nate .2ml 1x per day. She excreted the membrane after 6 days. Comb no longer flopped over her eye, and back to normal. She needs antibiotics as she may be developing an infection. Had blood panel done. Results were that is low in calcium, potassium and phosphorus.

You need to check her abdomen for inflammation. How is her breathing? Her poops? Lack of intake will result in white runny/mucousy poops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom