Sick hen, coughing, lethargic. Other sick hen being eaten alive by maggots(?)

mariwood

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2015
Came home after 10 days away to find two sick hens. One was sick before I left. I put her in isolation with anti-biotics in her water, and a neighbour was feeding oatmeal and yogurt. She somehow got out of the isolated area and the neighbour didn't remember which one she was. So she's worse now, unstable on her feet, lethargic. Don't think there's much hope for her now, but wondering if anyone has experience with a hen in bad shape recovering?
The other hen seems to have had diarrhea, and her lower but feathers all covered with crap. Found her sitting alone in a spot far away from the others, and not trying to get away when I touched her. Brought her in for a soak in the tub, to try to clean all the crap off, and noticed small worms/maggots floating in the bath water. Rinsed her several times, washed many worms/maggots down the drain. Then when I got her out I turned her over to find that it looks like she's actually being eaten alive by the worms/maggots. Her skin is all open and raw - large patch perhaps 3 inches across.There were still lots of worms there, even though many had been washed away. Thought about soaking it in hydrogen peroxide, but I think that would be very painful for her. I think she needs to be put down, but throwing it out here in case anyone's experienced anything like that before, and might have a solution.

The hen being eaten by maggots- Flystrike. This is a very common thing this time of year. Poop on butt feathers provides the ideal conditions for flys to breed upon. Maggots are fly larvae and are now feeding off of your hen. I had a hen with Flystrike and I sadly lost her. Others have had success with nurturing them back to health after getting the maggots off. Perhaps you can lather something over her bum to get the maggots off? Hopefully somebody will chime in. It's a terrible thing to watch.

Chickens are very resilant. They can miraculously get better when we think they are on deaths door. What type of antibiotics was she on? How old is this other hen and what are her exact symptoms?

don't remember the name - orange powder mixed with water for anti-biotics.
Got my daughter picking up polysporin for me, but not sure if it will work. I'm off today but usually away from home 12 hours per day, so not sure about my ability to look after her. Not sure what I'm going to do, but your suggestion is appreciated.
The other hen had a cough and sneezing two weeks ago. Left her in the care of a neighbour, giving her anti-biotics and oatmeal mixed with yogurt. Unfortunately she got out of the isolation enclosure I had her in, and the neighbour couldn't remember which hen it was, so he gave the oatmeal and yogurt to them all, but not enough for her to get what she needed. She's still eating and drinking, but very shaky on her feet, losing her balance.

Back
Top Bottom