Sick Hen Help

starrmar006

Songster
6 Years
Jan 10, 2017
Western WA, USA
I have a hen that is about 2-3 years old. The other day I went outside and saw that she was droopy and her face and waddle were pale. I gave her some pedialite and let her be in the sun. That worked for the day but, today I went outside and she was back to being droopy and pale. What should I do for her?

Start by giving her a thorough exam. Check her crop (hard, squishy?) and abdomen (squishy?). Look for parasites and injuries. Check her vent (clean?). Look inside her mouth for anything unusual and pay attention to any sour smell. Feel her keel bone, and see if she has any flesh on her breast.
Does she usually lay regularly and when was the last time? See if you can gently feel a possible egg stuck inside.

If she is really weak, it would probably be best to isolate her in a crate or large box, somewhere quiet and warm, so you can monitor food and water intake while you try to determine what the problem is.

The more info we have, the more we can help.

Start by giving her a thorough exam. Check her crop (hard, squishy?) and abdomen (squishy?). Look for parasites and injuries. Check her vent (clean?). Look inside her mouth for anything unusual and pay attention to any sour smell. Feel her keel bone, and see if she has any flesh on her breast.
Does she usually lay regularly and when was the last time? See if you can gently feel a possible egg stuck inside.

If she is really weak, it would probably be best to isolate her in a crate or large box, somewhere quiet and warm, so you can monitor food and water intake while you try to determine what the problem is.

The more info we have, the more we can help.
I checked up on her this after noon and she is still the same as yesterday. I checked for mites/ lice and she didn’t have any. Everything felt normal like her crop. Her mouth looked and smelled normal. She hasn’t started laying for the year yet but it doesn’t feel like she has an egg stuck in her. She is really skinny tho.

It’s been a while since I gave her a dewormer and she has gotten worse, she is much paler and weaker, I checked the other chickens and they are all doing great.

I have a hen that is about 2-3 years old. The other day I went outside and saw that she was droopy and her face and waddle were pale. I gave her some pedialite and let her be in the sun. That worked for the day but, today I went outside and she was back to being droopy and pale. What should I do for her?
I'm sorry, I have had sick chickens before, and it seams like they get over it pretty well and soon, I had one who it took her all day to walk across the yard. you could try googling her symptoms and see if you can find out what it is and see if you can treat it, or maybe call a veterinarian and ask for advice.

Back
Top Bottom