Sick hen help

nicole9024

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Pickens, South Carolina
Advice needed..
Born in March 2021
Over the last 3 weeks this little Cochin hen has been not herself. Somewhat lethargic most mornings when I go outside to let them out. Almost everyday I have treated her with one things or another. So far treatments have been
-Vit B-12 1 cc orally once daily or every other day
-Rooster booster in feed and orally 1 cc daily or every other day
- I’ve dewormered her with Panacur 0.23 cc once then repeated yesterday 10 days later
-treated for Mites/lice with Elector PSP
- Nutridrench 1 cc daily or every other day
Some days she looks okay I let them out daily to free range in the afternoons supervised and she will eat and graze around . This morning she is more lethargic then she has yet to be. Huddled in the corner and pale comb. I’m completely stumped on what I could be missing. It is cold today about 28 degrees last night I brought her inside and have her on a heating pad on low offered scrambled eggs. They eat Layena crumbles daily. Fresh vegetables and fruits three times a week. Any suggestions? Advice? Thank you!

Attachments

• AA0CDB90-ACFB-4F0D-80E7-5825F2C0702E.jpeg
    AA0CDB90-ACFB-4F0D-80E7-5825F2C0702E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Has she laid recently?
No she has not laid in probably a month but she also isn’t acting egg bound or egg peritonitis- I recently lost one to egg peritonitis so I know the sign and symptoms.. I did take a fecal sample into work ( I’m a Vet Tech) and she did have capillary worms. I did not see coccidiosis but I started Corid today.

No she has not laid in probably a month but she also isn’t acting egg bound or egg peritonitis- I recently lost one to egg peritonitis so I know the sign and symptoms.. I did take a fecal sample into work ( I’m a Vet Tech) and she did have capillary worms. I did not see coccidiosis but I started Corid today.
The worms could at could explain the pale comb and general lethargy, as a vet tech, you'd be able to check more than an average keeper. Have you checked her crop feet and all over for any injuries? Would it be hard to run blood work to rule out infection?

I’ve checked her all over no injures, or blood and crop has been small. She is still eating some but not much she has definitely lost weight over the last few weeks. I could run bloodwork on her but I had Covid last week and I’ve been out of work for the last 10 days. My next step was to take her in and do more diagnostic tests. I’m just stumped and I don’t want to use her but my options are now limited on treatment unless it’s coccidiosis. Corid is the only thing I haven’t tried at this point but she isn’t having bloody stool only small amounts of white liquid with green stool. Which I know is a sign of not eating much as overall dehydration. I’ve treated three days with Bactrim for over all infection prevention but she gets a little better then kinda tanks again.
The worms could at could explain the pale comb and general lethargy, as a vet tech, you'd be able to check more than an average keeper. Have you checked her crop feet and all over for any injuries? Would it be hard to run blood work to rule out infection?

- I’ve dewormered her with Panacur 0.23 cc once then repeated yesterday 10 days later
-treated for Mites/lice with Elector PSP
This morning she is more lethargic then she has yet to be. Huddled in the corner and pale comb.

she did have capillary worms
For Capillary worms, give the Panacur for 5 days in a row.
And that is 0.23ml (cc) per pound of weight, so get a good weight on her so you know she's getting an effect dose.

The once, then repeat dosing is for treatment of Roundworms only, so this may be part of the problem.

I agree with Whorp Rock. Capillary worms are dangerous, and require 5 days of SafeGuard or Panacur (fenbendazole.) give 1/4 ml per pound daily.

They can be given at the same time, so no need to wait. How is she doing?
Okay I’ll give her a dose of Safeguard tonight. I was under dosing her .. I took her into work this pass weekend she weighs 1.33 kg. I did another fecal which I didn’t see anything gave SQ fluids and took an xray. Everything was unremarkable. She is still eating but not drinking much so I’ve been having to give a drench dose of Corid daily. Her comb is still pale and overall she is lethargic. She is having watery poops. I’m just stumped at this point. My next step will be sending out blood work.

Back
Top Bottom