sick hen - lethargic and green diarreah

lori925

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Jackson, Maine
We are new to chickens; we've had two girls for about 2 months and about 3 weeks ago we got two more. One of the new ones became sick. She was laying one egg per day, then the day before yesterday she did not lay one and then yesterday she stayed in the hen house all day and then I noticed that she has greenish diarreah. We live in Maine, so it is not too hot.

I read that I should try feeding her plain yogurt and electrolytes. I mixed the two together and have fed her twice with a dropper - about a tablespoon each time. She doesn't seem to be getting worse, but she doesn't seem to be getting better either. I have her quaranteened in a portable coop right now. How often should I feed this to her? How long should I wait before trying something else? I'm so distressed and I feel so bad for her. My husband is out of town and I just don't know what else to do. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited:
Do you see any worms in the poo? Some vets will do a fecal test for worms/cocci for a small fee. (False negatives are possible on the fecal float for worms.)

The greenish diarrhea can come if they aren't eating enough. It can also be worms, or other ailments.

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

Additionally, being exposed to new soil can make already immunocompromised (maybe from worms) hens come down with coccidiosis (lethargy, feathers fluffed up, not eating or drinking, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, sitting in a corner by herself). So if you see signs of this also, you may consider giving her Corid as well.

There are also bacterial and viral infections chickens can get.

The other option is that she could be eggbound. Eggbinding is fatal within a couple of days if that is what it is...so hopefully it isn't that. I have read that if you put the hen in a nice warm water bath for 15 minutes, it relaxes the muscles and the egg hopefully will come out (also you are supposed to feel for an egg with a lubricated gloved finger)...the lubrication is supposed to help also.

Here is a nice general link with diagnosis charts at bottom:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Is her crop empty in the morning as it should be? If not, then possible crop impaction or sour crop.

Is her abdomen swollen? If so, possible ascites or eggyolk peritonitis..

So many things it could be. Check her over for an egg, check crop, and abdomen.

Hello - no, I do not see any worms or any blood in the poo. Today, still diarreah, but more white than green. I don't know, this may be due to the white yogurt I have been feeding her. She will not eat or drink on her own that I can tell so I have been giving her a out a teaspoon's worth of a mixture of yogurt and pediasure. Prior to her becoming lethargic, the four girls are free-ranging. We provide them with mash in the morning and a more coarse corn in the afternoon along with raw sunflower seeds as snacks - usually once or twice in the day.

I tried the warm water bath and nothing came of that. I probed around with a lubricated finger and didnt' find anything. Her crop feels like a water balloon or jello-ish. Abdomen does not appear to be swollen.

Where do you get the Cordid? Is that only from the vet?

Last question (for now) - should I continue to have her quaranteened from my other girls? Right now she is in a portable coop and the other three girls are in a stall in the barn (no other animals inhabit the barn). I just want to do what is best for all four of the girls.

Any info is appreciated. We are completely new to this and are trying to be great chicken parents.

Thank you. Lori

I found the following about amproliumm - the url where I found it is: http://www.interchemie.com/veterinary-products/coccidiostatics/amprolin-300-ws.html
Contra indications

The use of amprolium is prohibited from a laying age onwards. Do not administer to poultry whose eggs are intended for human consumption, or to animals with impaired hepatic and/or renal functions. Do not administer to turkeys before the age of 8 to 10 weeks.
Note: Mix Amprolin-300 WS daily with fresh water. Not intended for hens producing eggs for human consumption. In severe cases curative treatment may be followed by preventive treatment.

Is Amprolin-300 WS the same thing as Amprolium and Corid? If so, I'm amazed that it says not intended for hens producing eggs for human consumption.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom