Sick Hen - Lethargic, stands w/ eyes closed

Thank you all for your helpful advice and support. She seems better this morning - sitting in normal nesting posture instead of lying on her side. I am giving her water with a little apple cider vinegar regularly (she doesn't drink on her own) and have dipped her beak in some tasty yogurt a few times - hopefully she's getting some down, but not much yet. I went to the First State Vet Supply website and ordered the emergency kit and some VetRx. I noticed one of the other chickens was gently snoring last night when I went to close up the coop - might be coming down with the same thing - or maybe they just snore sometimes and I haven't noticed? I will get the supplies to try to clean and decontaminate the area this weekend and start de-worming the others while they are in apparently good health - maybe I will boost them a bit with some vitamins from the emergency kit first. I added ACV to their water this morning. I so appreciate all the help I am getting here. I love my animals and want them to be happy and healthy.

And furthermore, Valbazen is just for roundworms! Chickens can pick up a whole variety of worms. If you're going to do it at all use a broad spectrum dewormer that are usually a lot easier to tolerate than just roundworm medicine. Free range flocks usually do not get worm infestations, but chickens in a pen can. I don't think this is worms, it would not cause coughing.

And furthermore, Valbazen is just for roundworms! Chickens can pick up a whole variety of worms. If you're going to do it at all use a broad spectrum dewormer that are usually a lot easier to tolerate than just roundworm medicine. Free range flocks usually do not get worm infestations, but chickens in a pen can. I don't think this is worms, it would not cause coughing.
I think you meant to say that Wazine (piperazine) is just for roundworms. Valbazen is the only wormer that gets *all* worms, including tapes. I use Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (fenbendazole 100mg/ml).

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this is just not correct. Valbazen (albendazole) will remove most worms a chicken can pick up. It is Wazine that is only effective against roundworms.

Also, any chicken, free range or not can and will get worms. They scratch and peck in the dirt and worm eggs are carried around and deposited all over the place by wild birds. Free range chickens are just as likely to get worms as any other chicken.

If she were mine I would:

• Bring inside right away.
  • Weigh and record weight. I use a cheap digital kitchen scale from Target.
  • Do thorough exam.
  • Dust for mites/lice with poultry dust even if I couldn't see any .
  • De-worm with Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (fenbendazole 100mg/ml) at the rate of 50mg/kg ( .5cc/kg) by mouth.
  • Place in box or plastic bin with access to food, water and heat.
  • If not eating and crop is empty, tube feed Pedialyte. Once hydrated, tube feed baby bird food.
  • Watch closely for 24 hours.
  • Weigh daily.

Cafarmgirl and Casportpony thank you for explaining how valbazen kills all known types worms that chickens can get. The classic symptoms of worms are in the OP's first post in this thread. Respiratory symptoms arnt described by the OP, antibiotics are not needed. I stand by my recommendation for worming.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this is just not correct. Valbazen (albendazole) will remove most worms a chicken can pick up. It is Wazine that is only effective against roundworms.

Also, any chicken, free range or not can and will get worms. They scratch and peck in the dirt and worm eggs are carried around and deposited all over the place by wild birds. Free range chickens are just as likely to get worms as any other chicken.

Oh, well, you're right. We use Fenbendazole, and I was thinking of Wazine. But yeah she does mention coughing, I think that's a respiratory symptom. Anyway, I'm not going to argue about it, whatever. When chickens are that sick, it's not worms. Sorry, just my opinion. Had a couple of experiences ya know?

Oh, well, you're right. We use Fenbendazole, and I was thinking of Wazine. But yeah she does mention coughing, I think that's a respiratory symptom. Anyway, I'm not going to argue about it, whatever. When chickens are that sick, it's not worms. Sorry, just my opinion. Had a couple of experiences ya know?

I'm a big fan of Fenbendazole, as it's well proven to be extremely safe/effective. When given at 20 mg/kg for three consecutive days, all worms (save for tapeworms) are eliminated, and at a rate that will not create other problems, even for sick birds (it's been tested, and proven safe, all the way up to 1 gm/kg, which is fifty times this amount ~'-)

Parasites, whether internal or external, can indeed make chickens that sick or, at minimum, prevent them from getting better ... might be some other illness/disease that is the last domino, but it's often the parasites that sets 'em up, and knocks 'em over.

Hi - I don't have a way to weight her yet. If I assume she weighs 4 kg, it looks like (from your 0.5cc/kg) that I should give her 2 cc of the SafeGuard dewormer (100 mg/mL suspension). Is this correct?
She's still doing about the same - hanging in there, looking around some - mostly sleeping, but not walking around - sitting in nesting posture. She won't eat or drink on her own, but I'm keeping her hydrated and giving her yogurt and pediasure. Should I mix some dog food (canned) in with it?
Thanks so much! :)

4kg is almost 9 pounds. If you're using safeguard liquid goat wormer (white liquid)...I recommend that you give her 1cc orally undiluted. Use a syringe without a needle to administer it. Redose her again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from eggs.

Back
Top Bottom