Sick hen - pasty butt/swollen vent/tail down/not egg bound

LadyShred

Songster
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Alabama
I have a 10 month old Grey Japanese Bantam Hen and she has come down with a mystery illness. Her symptoms include: poop matted around her vent/swollen vent/droopy tail/soft, bumpy crop. She is still very responsive and looks up at me like, "what? What's going on?" At first I thought she may have been eggbound so I soaked her in the tub (she is very tame by the way) and felt around her bottom and carefully pressed against the sides of her rear. It was very soft and I could not feel anything that felt like an egg. I took the time to clear away her poop and clean her up a bit. I then felt around her crop and it was very soft and it moved almost too easily.

I am omitting eggbound and now I think she has some kind of sickness. I dried her off and isolated her in her own area and although she is kinda droopy, she doesn't like it. She has had a history of repetivie coccidios but now that she's older, it has gotten better.

Any advice? Should she go to the vet? Any hope?

My camera battery is dead (so I'm charging it). I will post a pic soon!

Her poo is runny and drippy, medium brown and green. Also looks like there is some blood around her vent. It doesn't look like prolapse, but it's hard to tell. She had plenty of food in her pen all day, but I gave her some bread to see if she was interested in food and she loved it. Drinking fine as well.

Last edited:
I looked at the pick. Keep her clean and dry as poss to ward off any skin irritation. Can you take a stool sample to the vet? I sounds like it could be coccidia which causes straining and green stool. If you can't get a sample to the vet you can purchase Sulmet at feed stores for coccidia. Feel her abdomen and make sure that it is not swollen and hard which could be a sign of internal laying as well. If she is not swollen and hard, I recommend deworming her asap. Keep her warm and dry and see if she will eat some plain yogurt. They usually love it and it will be good for her digestive tract. If you can, put vits and electrolytes in her water as well. Sugar or gatorade will do too. Let us know how she does and if any of this will help. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom