Sick Hen - Slow Death (Euthanization Suggestions)

Out state Vet with euthanize them and do a necropsy for 20 dollars. Of course I have to drive it down there. They use co2. Do you think there is ant way I could use a vacuum cleaner hose and attach it to my tailpipe of my car and put the other end in a close box and just run my car?
With no release of air pressure I imagine the sealed container popping off like a rocket . I was told years ago for a parakeet to do that in a paper bag.

I found this @h2oratt
Re: How does everyone feel about "exhaust euthanasia?"
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »

For all of the reasons that have previously been stated, having your pet euthanized this way was beyond inhumane.
More than anything else though, it is because of the ignorance of cars in general that makes me really sad.

You are probably not be aware of this, the mandatory implementation catalytic converters in cars several decades ago has made it impossible to commit suicide in that fashion.
The function of a catalytic converter is to convert most of the lethal CO that is released by your car into relatively harmless CO2.
Sitting in your garage with a modern car will do nothing more that give you a bad headache and a case of stomach upset.

Your hamster almost certainly died from exposure to heat and chemicals, not in the relatively gentle way of having the oxygen in her blood replaced with carbon monoxide.

This is why I asked, because I have no idea what the effects of carbon monoxide are on the bodies of small mammals. Also with the other factors you mentioned, I'm glad I asked. I haven't heard of many people using this method these days, since vet administered euthanasia is reasonable price wise. These things are just good to know, for everyone, something to keep for the memory bank.
tongue.gif

ip.gif
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi

I would not use any type of gas to euthanize. IMO, it is too slow. It may be a feel good solution, and less hands on for the person doing it. But, for the animal being euthanized, IMO it is not as humane as decapitation or cervical dislocation. When the time comes to say good by to that animal, they deserve the fastest exit you can provide.

@UtahLisa - I'm glad you were able to do what needed to be done for your hen. Funny how seeing them suffer can spur us into action. It's also surprising what we can do when we "have to". Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's valuable knowledge for others who may need to see it.

Thank you for your information...it was helpful and in the end I did end up doing it myself. It wasn't anything like I was thinking. I'm just glad she is at peace now. She got so much worse in the later morning and early afternoon....I had to do something. Thanks for your support and understand...as well as direction. All input is super helpful for us newbies!

So sorry you had to do it. The vet route is kind and gentle, but as you said, only works out if there is a way to get there in short order, and the animal isn't suffering. You did the right thing, though it feels awful to do, I know.

Out state Vet with euthanize them and do a necropsy for 20 dollars. Of course I have to drive it down there. They use co2. Do you think there is ant way I could use a vacuum cleaner hose and attach it to my tailpipe of my car and put the other end in a close box and just run my car?

I did this once early on in my chicken keeping based on some really bad advice, will NEVER,EVER do it that way again. Slow, dramatic, traumatic, it was horrible. I sobbed afterward, what was intended to be a mercy felt monstrous. Decapitation, cervical dislocation, killing cone, is much, much kinder. The killing cone is somewhat tranquilizing while they are upside down. Despite being hands on, rather than hands off, it's much, MUCH less traumatic for everyone, especially the chicken. I still find it upsetting when I have to do it, but knowing it's quickly over and almost painless makes it bearable. Honestly, exhaust fumes is NOT the way to do it.

I did this once early on in my chicken keeping based on some really bad advice, will NEVER,EVER do it that way again. Slow, dramatic, traumatic, it was horrible. I sobbed afterward, what was intended to be a mercy felt monstrous. Decapitation, cervical dislocation, killing cone, is much, much kinder. The killing cone is somewhat tranquilizing while they are upside down. Despite being hands on, rather than hands off, it's much, MUCH less traumatic for everyone, especially the chicken. I still find it upsetting when I have to do it, but knowing it's quickly over and almost painless makes it bearable. Honestly, exhaust fumes is NOT the way to do it.
Thank you , now I do not need to try it myself.

I don't think exhaust fumes is good for anything....so that's just slow suffocation. Thanks for the input and actually someone here locally mentioned a cone and I had to google what that was even. There are several video that quickly popped up and I think that would be a great thing to have. I'm going to order one. Much better, I agree. THANKS!!!!

I am so sorry that you have to go through this!:hugsI recently had 3 deaths in my flock of 12. I know exactly how you feel. Only my experience was a chick. It died before I could humanly kill the poor thing. I have absolutely no advice to give, but I wish you good luck! Blessings!

Thank you....she's buried with our dogs that passed away at 14 and 16 years. My kids made her a marker. It's official...they're pets...Names and all. I'm just waiting my my girls to make them ID bracelets. They are so great with the kids and love being here so it's been awesome!

Im very proud of you Utah , Its a hard thing to do and I always said I have to put myself in a certain frame of mind before I could cull a chicken. At first :oops: After all these years it still hurts but it comes easier.
PS, Pay no attention to my user name.. :rolleyes:

Oh my gosh, that I glanced over and totally laughed out loud. That was perfect timing and pretty stink'in funny. thanks "granny hatchet".

Back
Top Bottom