Sick Hen?, very subdued and off-color combs

Avonlea22

Jessamine Cottage
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
I have a six month old hen that is very subdued and has off-color combs and wattles. She's currently being picked on a bit by one other hen, Any ideas what might be the problem based on these pics? In the full body pic, she's standing in an awkward position, and this is how I've observed her for the last several minutes. I checked quickly for mites, and didn't see anything. I checked her vent and it's a bit pasty/dirty, but didn't look swollen or irritated. My other three hens are just fine. I'm sorry the pics sis not come out that great.

Thanks

I suppose it could be described that way, yes. Eggbound? I'm quite sure she has already layed.

I separated Bob (yes, it's a she) yesterday morning, placing her in my shed. This morning I'm letting her free range away from the other birds. I did discover that she is actually not laying, and the other 3 out of 4 birds are. I also discovered that the area around and under her vent is swollen. She pooped a few times in the shed and had a decent poop this morning, but they are a bit runny. In fact, I had to rinse off her bum and that's when I noticed the swelling. She's walking around a bit more than yesterday, but still seems unwell.

I'd still appreciate some input if anyone has anything to add. Bob is still not doing well, although her combs have returned to normal colour. She seems to have issues pooping, although the issue is not that she can't, as their are droppings in the shed where I'm keeping her, but her backside is dirty with poop. I continually clean it, but it just builds back up.She still has swelling below her vent.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom