Sick hen. What would cause comb and wattles to lose color?

Our DORA died a few minutes ago and besides losing her the hardest part is not knowing why. The lack of color in her comb and wattles and subsequent lack of energy, etc. are the only symptoms we dealt with. No bad signs in our other girls.

Not one vet in the area to help so it is all guess work and deductive reasoning, in this case to no avail. It is just sad because you know how affectionate these girls can be - amazingly so - and Dora was a darling. It has been a difficult two weeks losing Dora today and Wilma and Hayley to racoons. Yes, my children need to know that death is a part of life but I'm done.

Thanks for your time and attention. I value any suggestions from you vets concerning the remainder of our little flock.

PK

So sorry for your loss. It is really hard to deal with chicken ailments; there are SO MANY!!!!! And while you're guessing and researching and trying to figure it out, they're getting worse, and don't tell you. We've gone through the same thing a lot of times...but it is a learning experience, and if you lose one...you'll have a better idea what to do next time.

I'm so sorry about Dora.
sad.png

I've been reviewing in my mind the steps we took with Dora and I'm wondering (after reading several posts) if we could have caused her death by giving her liquids (water and nutri-drench). I used a small syringe and slightly opened her beak letting the liquid run in. She seemed to accept them and swallow until very near the end and then we just sat with her and tried to comfort her. Would we have known if the liquid had gone down the wrong way? Symptoms of distress? What is the proper/best way if you need to hand water or feed a sick bird?

Sorry for your loss. I lost one of my hens this morning to similar symptoms. Daisy had just gone through a moult and was looking good, featherwise, but never regained the color in her comb. When I cleaned the coop on Sunday she just stood near me, she looked like she was meditating. She was never so placid in her life. Her poop was a little liquidy and yellow. When she isolated herself I knew it was the end. Everyone else is fine, actually very perky with the change of weather.

Sometimes we just don't know why they die. I had no deaths, then 3 in a row-- dog attack, unknown, and drowning accident. Some leave an indelible mark on our hearts. It's just part of having chickens. :mad:

I am so very sad for you that you lost your girl... (((hugs)))
When you "help" them drink it is crucial that they swallow on their own...this means you must dribble it onto the beak (I use one of those glass droppers and they will usually "suck" it out but again you must go slowly and ensure they swallow on their own) ... you can also place a (no needle) syringe under their tongue (again make sure they swallow on own...so drop-by-drop)...
birds often are on their "last legs" so to speak by the time they actually show you they are ill... the pale comb was a pretty serious sign.

Thank you all, again, for sharing your wisdom and your generous hearts with us.

God bless you. PK

Back
Top Bottom