Sick Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BB Bird, Apr 14, 2017.

1. BB Bird

BB Bird New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    My healthy, laying hen got sick about a week ago. She is really unbalanced, and when she looks very upright. Whenever she stands still, it looks like she's sitting like a human, with her body vertical. She has to flap her wings to move sometimes. I put her in a separate coop a few days ago, with some food and her own water, but she doesn't seem to be getting any better. She's becoming less upright, and she eats and drinks relatively normally, but her coat is dull and she looks very sick. I don't know what to do for her. Could anyone help me? Do you know if this is a kind of disease?

2. Bantamz

Bantamz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    my house
    It sounds like she is getting better try putting antibiotics in her water. I had a chicken like that and it was because she had a egg break on the way out. After she pushed it out it was fine. Good luck

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she laid an egg in awhile? Can you insert a finger into her vent ro check for a stuck egg? She sounds like she has egg yolk peritonitis. The symptoms can be similiar to egg binding, causing an upright stance. Other signs are weight loss in the breast area, poor appetite, a tendency to sit and avoid walking long distances, watery droppings, and feeling poorly. I would offer her some watery chicken feed, raw or cooked egg, a tsp of plain yogurt. If she seems to be suffering at any point, I would think of how to put her down. If you have access to a vet, you could get a second opinion, but this seems to be a common cause of death in hens.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by