Sick Hen

riseupsunshine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
For a couple of weeks I watched my hen go down hill. She was slow, her wattle drooped over, standing like her head was stuck in some. I separated and treated for cocci for 3 days. She is letting out this substance once a day. It is rubber like and about the size of a nickel. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 8
I agree. That is a symptom of salpingitis, an inflammation of the oviduct. Early treatment with a strong antibiotic such as Baytril, available theough a vet or by searching here or on Google for "baytril or enrofloxacin sources" by Casportpony, might be beneficial.

Thank you. It does seem to be that. Terycycline is not available in GA without a prescription. I may have to cull. Thank you for the info.

You may be right on what can be done for the hen
http://thefrugalchicken.com/lash-eggs-salpingitis/
Although lash eggs are not very common, they do happen, and they are an indicator that your chicken probably has an infection and you might want to take her to a vet.
Lash eggs can turn into a big problem eventually, so if you do find one in your coop, you will want to pay attention to whether your hen seems healthy, is eating and acting normal, or whether she seems in pain or just “off.”

Here is something from Kathy's URL on Baytril:
Chickendoodle13 posted
Just a disclaimer about antibiotic use, especially if you are not consulting with a vet. There are good reasons for the regulation of antibiotics (Though I definitely don't agree with the prices!). One major reason is that giving antibiotics without knowing exactly what is going on with the animal can contribute to antibiotic resistance of the organisms associated with that animal. The use of antibiotics in farm animals is a major problem in human medicine because many pathogens that affect people are becoming resistant. For a long time, antibiotic use in slaughtered animals went unchecked. Now there are strict regulations and withdrawal times for food animals, and veterinarians work hard to regulate the use of antibiotics so that they are used only in animals that absolutely need them.

As far as I know, baytril is not labeled for use in poultry, so I would not use this in birds that will be food or that lay eggs for human consumption. People who have given baytril to chickens in the past generally keep their eggs from consumption (Some people do this for the life of the bird). Another related issue is that if these antibiotics are used and you have no plans to eat the bird, there is no guarantee that if the bird is sold that the next person will do the same, even if they are told the bird has been treated with antibiotics.

Another issue is that antibiotics can be specific for certain pathogens (I see some listed above) so if a person gives one type of antibiotic without knowing the cause of disease, it may not do anything at all.

If you are advised to give this under direction of a vet, then by all means buy it from a cheaper source such as the ones listed!

"If we long for our planet to be important, there is something we can do about it. We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." ~Carl Sagan

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." ~Douglas Adams

Back
Top Bottom