sick hen

Dgross

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm new here and wanted to ask for help. My hen who is the love of my life. Has a bloody nasty looking sack on her but. Her feathers are missing from her belly. She has runny poop. I am not sure what to do. My hen is mopey. We don't know if she is eating for she and the others are free roaming. The sack is bloody, about the size of a golf ball. I can't really tell where it is..under the vent. I am sick over this I had no idea she was sick. I have another hen that has a red butt as well. Poopy runny looking but. My ducks and turkey see ok.
Anybody have ideas what I should do or if there is anything I can do?
I do not have a vet to take her too.

It sounds like she might be prolapsed and that is a hard thing to fix. If you can't take pictures, go to the search box on this site and type in the word "prolapse". You'll see lots of information about prolapse and ways to try and fix it. It also sounds like she might have lice. She needs to be in a cage that you can fix up as a temporary hospital pen for her...a dog crate or rabbit cage or anything, to give her some privacy and help her heal while you figure out what to do. If you can take pictures, take them, and then post your question in the "Emergencies" section on here. You'll get more responses and help that way.

It sounds like she might be prolapsed and that is a hard thing to fix. If you can't take pictures, go to the search box on this site and type in the word "prolapse". You'll see lots of information about prolapse and ways to try and fix it. It also sounds like she might have lice. She needs to be in a cage that you can fix up as a temporary hospital pen for her...a dog crate or rabbit cage or anything, to give her some privacy and help her heal while you figure out what to do. If you can take pictures, take them, and then post your question in the "Emergencies" section on here. You'll get more responses and help that way.
Thank you for your response. We had to put her down tonight. She looked like a bright red tumor that was not much we could do. I'm so sick over this.

Hi and welcome to BYC, I'm just sorry that it is not under better circumstances that you join us.

Best wishes
CT

sorry you had to put her down. How is the other hen doing?
The other hen seems fine. She just had a red butt tomorrow we are washing her and spraying her with antibacterial spray. So we will keep an eye out make sure she doesn't turn out like my baby did.

That's too bad and sorry for your loss. If you can, find a new friend for your remaining hen.
Thank you. I still have 3 hens and a stupid rooster. 2 ducks and 1 turkey who believes she is a chicken.
My hen is doing ok now. She is to mean and stubborn to go on me.

Back
Top Bottom