Sick hen

myBugslovesme

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2018
Hi, I’ve got a 1 year old hen that is very skinny. She stands by herself, hangs her head and won’t eat. I’ve brought her inside and put her in a crate on a heating pad. Vet gave me baytril shots but they didn’t help. She’s been inside for a week now. Also went out to feed my bantam chicks and one can’t stand, wings out and toes are curled. Not sure what to do with either of them.

How long have you been giving the Baytril?
Is she eating/drinking/pooping?
What other symptoms does the hen have?
When was the last time she laid?
Any new additions to the flock?

As for the chick, how old?
Eating/drinking/pooping?
Is it from your flock or purchased?
It could be a Riboflavin deficiency = PolyVisol without iron, Vitamin B Complex, Nutri Drench, foods rich in riboflavin (boiled egg yolk, scrambled eggs, ground raw almond, beef liver, fortified cereals, etc) You could tape the toes flat, you may need to separate for the rest so it don't get trampled or picked on.

There's a website: Poultry Pedia you can search Curly Toe Paralysis, I had a chick develope it at 3wks, took about 2wks & it's was back to normal.

How long have you been giving the Baytril?
Is she eating/drinking/pooping?
What other symptoms does the hen have?
When was the last time she laid?
Any new additions to the flock?

As for the chick, how old?
Eating/drinking/pooping?
Is it from your flock or purchased?
It could be a Riboflavin deficiency = PolyVisol without iron, Vitamin B Complex, Nutri Drench, foods rich in riboflavin (boiled egg yolk, scrambled eggs, ground raw almond, beef liver, fortified cereals, etc) You could tape the toes flat, you may need to separate for the rest so it don't get trampled or picked on.

There's a website: Poultry Pedia you can search Curly Toe Paralysis, I had a chick develope it at 3wks, took about 2wks & it's was back to normal.
The hen tries to eat and drink, not sure when she last laid. I’m syringe feeding her multi grain baby cereal with a vitamin b pill crushed in it. When I first brought her in I squeezed her crop and gurgling stinky air came up. Her poop is stinky also. Vet just gave me 2 days of shots, which was Tuesday. She’s not egg bound I checked that. Yes there are new additions but she was already inside when I got them. I’m chicken sitting for a friend that just had surgery and she can’t care for them for awhile. The chick is 3 months old, nothing in her crop now, but she was fine yesterday. I have her inside in a crate.

Can you get some chicken feed (grower or all flock feed?)
Vitamin deficiency might be a problem in the pullet, but there also could be a possibility of Mareks disease. It is worth treating with riboflavin (vitamin B 2) which can be found in human B complex tablets, ground into feed 1/4 tablet once a day. Sour crop also sounds likely in the hen. Here is some reading about treatments for sour crop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Can you get some chicken feed (grower or all flock feed?)
Vitamin deficiency might be a problem in the pullet, but there also could be a possibility of Mareks disease. It is worth treating with riboflavin (vitamin B 2) which can be found in human B complex tablets, ground into feed 1/4 tablet once a day. Sour crop also sounds likely in the hen. Here is some reading about treatments for sour crop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Her crop was empty when I saw she wasn’t with our other chickens, I do syringe feed baby cereal mixed with vitamins minerals. I crushed a tums today and put 1/2 into her cereal. She has food and water down the front of her, and crumbles around her beak. I noticed awhile ago she’s blinking a lot and kinda bobbing her head. The pullet got cereal mixed with bird vitamin mineral I had on hand, and did give 1/2 vitamin b tablet mixed it. I taped her toes into a flat position, but she’s rocking back and both legs are in front of her. I did notice her eating some after I gave her the cereal. This is the first time I’ve had a dick chicken.

Can she have impacted crop with nothing in it? Only food she has in there is what I syringe feed her, and it’s gone when I go to do it again.

She stands by herself, hangs her head and won’t eat...Vet gave me baytril shots but they didn’t help....my bantam chicks and one can’t stand, wings out and toes are curled.

The hen tries to eat and drink, not sure when she last laid. I’m syringe feeding her multi grain baby cereal with a vitamin b pill crushed in it. When I first brought her in I squeezed her crop and gurgling stinky air came up. Her poop is stinky also. V

Her crop was empty when I saw she wasn’t with our other chickens, I do syringe feed baby cereal mixed with vitamins minerals. I crushed a tums today and put 1/2 into her cereal. She has food and water down the front of her, and crumbles around her beak. I noticed awhile ago she’s blinking a lot and kinda bobbing her head. The pullet got cereal mixed with bird vitamin mineral I had on hand, and did give 1/2 vitamin b tablet mixed it. I taped her toes into a flat position, but she’s rocking back and both legs are in front of her. I did notice her eating some after I gave her the cereal. This is the first time I’ve had a dick chicken.

Can she have impacted crop with nothing in it? Only food she has in there is what I syringe feed her, and it’s gone when I go to do it again.
Can you post photos of the hen and of the pullet, including their poop?

The hen sounds like she has sour crop. This can take a while to correct.
And to answer your question - yes, there can be an impaction or blockage somewhere else that is causing part of the problem (gizzard, intestines).
For the hen, keep her hydrated. She needs fluids. If she still has sour breath, then you probably need to treat her with a yeast medication. You can follow the instructions in the following article or have your vet give you something.
Will the hen eat on her own at all? I would give her her normal poultry feed, you can make that into a wet mash to see if she will take it, but only offer food once she is well hydrated.

For the pullet (3month old) I would give the vitamins as suggested in previous posts. Getting a fecal test is always a good idea too if she is new to you.

Back
Top Bottom