Sick Hen

Eye picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 8
What kind of chicken is that? She is so pretty!

ive read heat is tough on chickens. There is a recipe for electrolytes you can mix up to give your chickens in their water to drink or you can buy it at stores.I don’t know if that would help or not but Might be worth a try?

I hope she gets better!

What kind of chicken is that? She is so pretty!

ive read heat is tough on chickens. There is a recipe for electrolytes you can mix up to give your chickens in their water to drink or you can buy it at stores.I don’t know if that would help or not but Might be worth a try?

I hope she gets better!
She was bought as a mix, so she isn’t any particular breed. She is typically a very large bird. She has been trying to use her legs (Poorly), but she has been trying. I have been giving her nearly everything, under the sun. Seems like anyways. I keep her food very wet as she doesn’t like being forced - who would? She LOVES watermelon so I often put some of her food on top of a chunk , to encourage her to eat.

At 5 years old the possibilities are many. While some may live much longer, at 5 it could be age catching up to her. Check her crop before going to bed, see how it feels. Then check again first thing in the morning to see if it's empty. It should be empty first thing in the morning before access to food or water. How is her weight? Is she well muscled through the breast, or is the breast bone very prominent (the fluff of feathers can hide a lot)? Do you know if she still lays, even occasionally? Does her abdomen, below the vent, between the legs, feel bloated at all, either very firm, or water balloon like? Have you checked her over for lice/mites? She does look a bit pale in the comb and wattles compared to the red dish in the picture, but I know pictures don't always portray the colors accurately. Also, how do her droppings look, normal or not? Pictures are welcome. If you have any poultry nutri-drench I would give her some of that, it may give her a bit of a boost. You said feathers are falling out easily, does she have any pin feathers coming in anywhere on her? I have several that are molting early this summer, no idea why, so want to make sure this isn't a difficult molt. In that case some vitamins, a B complex tablet (regular, not time release) ground up in some feed might be helpful.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
I'm going to tag a couple of others to see if they have more to add.
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
Oddly, I just got this post. She is not laying, you can see the pale comb ( yes, it’s pale). I have kept her in since she stopped standing and walking. She lost a lot of weight as she is finding it difficult to see. It does look like she is getting some pin feathers. Also, she seems to be trying to use her legs. She has been getting some Epsom salt/water mixture, probably about a tablespoon every day for the las 3 days. I keep Her food very wet (easiest way to get liquids in her). She is getting mostly a baby (starter-grower) blend right now with a multivitamin. She LOVES watermelon so I often entice her to eat by putting her food on a chunk or adding a few pieces to her food. There are a lot of things I am doing and trying.

Epsom salt/water? To drink? That has a laxative effect, so unless you are trying to clear an obstruction or remove a toxin that has been ingested, I would not give that.
If she's having trouble seeing or has gone blind that may be the main issue and all the others are from that. If she can't eat and drink well then she's losing weight, getting weak, vitamin deficiencies may be happening, etc. For the short term I would either crate her or keep her in a small area and keep food and water close and in the same place all the time. Help her feed and drink as much as possible until she learns where they are. Using open dishes may also help, so she doesn't have to be so exact about where she hits. And start weighing her regularly to see if she's putting weight on, which will tell you if she's getting enough. I would continue the vitamins also, until you see some improvement. Molt may be contributing to her weakness, or may have been triggered by the stress of what she's going through now. I'd make sure she's on a flock raiser type feed, 18-20% protein.

Epsom salt was a recommendation. I believe for the magnesium not for its laxative effect. As stated, she is in one area, open feed dishes - kept in the same place so she knows where they are at. Her feed is mostly starter/grower which is 18%. Also she is not blind, just seems to be having difficulties seeing - sees red quite well - hence the red food dishes. Food is changed every day. She actually seems to be improving in the sense that she is moving some although not standing. Anyways, thanks for reviewing the post.

Back
Top Bottom