Sick hen

WyncoopFlockMom

Chirping
Oct 4, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
My favorite hen, Gertie, (1st pic is Gertie In the front and Luceille in the back, 2nd pic Gertie is laying down and Luceille is standing next to her) isn’t feeling well. I’m prepared to put her in a plastic tote for a chicken sick bay in the garage (I’ve already sanitized it and letting it dry and air out before putting in pine shavings). She does have a poopy butt that I can clean up once she’s in the garage. I noticed that Luceille also has a poopy butt, however, she isnt acting strange.

I clean my poop board every morning and have noticed some blood in the poop but I’m not sure which girl (I have 5 hens and 1 Roo) was coming from. It has just been a speck of blood here and there. Sometimes their poop is a little milky brown, sometimes black but for the most part it looks normal. Yesterday I noticed Luceille and Gertie poop clear liquid.

I thought her feather loss was from our Roo being too rough with her. But now I’m rethinking why she’s losing the fluffy and long feathers.

I dewormed the flock in December with DE in their food and they had bloody I probably won’t use that as a dewormer next time.

I have electrolytes and probiotics on hand and epsom salt if I need to give her a bath. I’m also ok with giving her garlic or ACV.

Should I keep her in the tote overnight or just during the day for monitoring and then stick her in the coop at night with the flock? I’m concerned about transferring her from a heated garage (64 ish degrees) to 40’s in the day/30’s at night).

What do y’all do when you have a sick girl?

Attachments

• BE1B8799-07E4-4F84-A12A-81435A18E465.jpeg
    BE1B8799-07E4-4F84-A12A-81435A18E465.jpeg
    829.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 67A3D925-CA92-42A0-874D-6B1B8A068F50.jpeg
    67A3D925-CA92-42A0-874D-6B1B8A068F50.jpeg
    826.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 307D9482-D5F5-44B1-8E66-60009988BCF9.jpeg
    307D9482-D5F5-44B1-8E66-60009988BCF9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • D709A634-A40D-41E0-AF3E-8AF0901CFE69.jpeg
    D709A634-A40D-41E0-AF3E-8AF0901CFE69.jpeg
    720.7 KB · Views: 3
She looks like she's molting. I'd recommend a fecal sample to the vet to see exactly what you are dealing with.

My favorite hen, Gertie, (1st pic is Gertie In the front and Luceille in the back, 2nd pic Gertie is laying down and Luceille is standing next to her) isn’t feeling well. I’m prepared to put her in a plastic tote for a chicken sick bay in the garage (I’ve already sanitized it and letting it dry and air out before putting in pine shavings). She does have a poopy butt that I can clean up once she’s in the garage. I noticed that Luceille also has a poopy butt, however, she isnt acting strange.

I clean my poop board every morning and have noticed some blood in the poop but I’m not sure which girl (I have 5 hens and 1 Roo) was coming from. It has just been a speck of blood here and there. Sometimes their poop is a little milky brown, sometimes black but for the most part it looks normal. Yesterday I noticed Luceille and Gertie poop clear liquid.

I thought her feather loss was from our Roo being too rough with her. But now I’m rethinking why she’s losing the fluffy and long feathers.

I dewormed the flock in December with DE in their food and they had bloody I probably won’t use that as a dewormer next time.

I have electrolytes and probiotics on hand and epsom salt if I need to give her a bath. I’m also ok with giving her garlic or ACV.

Should I keep her in the tote overnight or just during the day for monitoring and then stick her in the coop at night with the flock? I’m concerned about transferring her from a heated garage (64 ish degrees) to 40’s in the day/30’s at night).

What do y’all do when you have a sick girl?
Are they always in a heated garage?

I clean my poop board every morning and have noticed some blood in the poop

Is she still laying eggs?
What do you feed?
Can you get some photos of the poop?
Some of the loss looks like rooster damage to me, but I would look her over well for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for any swelling or fluid.

Sadly, DE is not and effective de-wormer, if you feel worms are contributing to her not feeling well, then ask your vet to perform a fecal float or just use a de-wormer like Fenbendazole (Safeguard) which can be found at stores like TSC. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once day for 5 days.
If you find any lice/mites, then treat with a permethrin based poultry spray or dust.

Keep us posted.

Is she still laying eggs?
What do you feed?
Can you get some photos of the poop?
Some of the loss looks like rooster damage to me, but I would look her over well for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for any swelling or fluid.

Sadly, DE is not and effective de-wormer, if you feel worms are contributing to her not feeling well, then ask your vet to perform a fecal float or just use a de-wormer like Fenbendazole (Safeguard) which can be found at stores like TSC. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once day for 5 days.
If you find any lice/mites, then treat with a permethrin based poultry spray or dust.

Keep us posted.
She is not laying eggs currently and I feed a pellet layer / crumble mixture (I bought the crumble and they didn’t like it so I had to mix in pellets to use up the crumble). Her crop felt normal.
When I was cutting Gertie’s poppy feathers I noticed a black mite and when I was cutting Luceilles poopy feathers I noticed dandruff which is love related. I am now looking into mites/live treatments but it is winter I have spurts of cold and wet so I’m trying to research and decide what is best for my girls.

She is not laying eggs currently and I feed a pellet layer / crumble mixture (I bought the crumble and they didn’t like it so I had to mix in pellets to use up the crumble). Her crop felt normal.
When I was cutting Gertie’s poppy feathers I noticed a black mite and when I was cutting Luceilles poopy feathers I noticed dandruff which is love related. I am now looking into mites/live treatments but it is winter I have spurts of cold and wet so I’m trying to research and decide what is best for my girls.
If you are finding bugs, then treating all the birds and their housing is important.
Since it's cold and wet, dusting them with a Permethrin poultry dust would be good. For housing, you can use dust or spray.

Back
Top Bottom