Sick hen?

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
This morning I noticed my 19 week old pullet was acting a little strange. I was sitting outside giving all the chooks some treats and she was standing off to the side, kind of looked like she was falling asleep standing up. I picked her up, this is not unusual for her because she is very docile, and I didn't notice any breathing difficulties or noises. She ate happily in my lap. When she was done she hopped down and walked off. She then started falling asleep standing up...she would wake up periodically and then start again. I don't know if I am being paranoid but I don't think it's normal. Also, the poor dear is the favorite girl of BOTH our roosters (cockerels?). I don't know if maybe she is just stressed and tired from being in the coop at night with them? I don't know what to do and I am quite fond of her.

I would keep an eye out for any unusual droppings, make sure that she is drinking well, and check her crop to feel if it is full in the evening and emptying by the next morning. Is he or tail down or up? Has she started to lay yet?

I would keep an eye out for any unusual droppings, make sure that she is drinking well, and check her crop to feel if it is full in the evening and emptying by the next morning. Is he or tail down or up? Has she started to lay ythe

I would keep an eye out for any unusual droppings, make sure that she is drinking well, and check her crop to feel if it is full in the evening and emptying by the next morning. Is he or tail down or up? Has she started to lay yet?
They have all been hanging out on our porch and I have noticed some unusual droppings. I had thought it was due to eating an entire watermelon. But maybe it's not. None of the girls have started to lay yet....or if they have it certainly hasn't been in their nesting boxes. Her tail kind of seems lower than normal. Should I try to give her water with a syringe?

Here she is sleeping

Attachments

• IMG_20210802_124608191_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210802_124608191_HDR.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 3
I would hold a lid or small cup/scoop of water up to her beak, and try to get her drinking. Dip her beak to give her the idea. Electrolytes might be good, or if you have Poultry NutriDrench you could give some of that orally. Is heat a problem? She might be dehydrated. Could she have been kept from drinking or eating by the others? Coccidiosis is also possible, but usually a problem when they are younger. Corid, the treatment is pretty safe, whether she has coccidiosis or not. Symptoms are lethargy, not eating, diarrhea with mucus or sometimes blood, and standing hunched or puffed up.

I would hold a lid or small cup/scoop of water up to her beak, and try to get her drinking. Dip her beak to give her the idea. Electrolytes might be good, or if you have Poultry NutriDrench you could give some of that orally. Is heat a problem? She might be dehydrated. Could she have been kept from drinking or eating by the others? Coccidiosis is also possible, but usually a problem when they are younger. Corid, the treatment is pretty safe, whether she has coccidiosis or not. Symptoms are lethargy, not eating, diarrhea with mucus or sometimes blood, and standing hunched or puffed up.
Thank you. She is very docile and mild mannered, I have seen some of the more pushy hens keep treats from her. So I guess they could have kept her from their feed. I just got some corid and I'm going to treat everyone just as a precaution. It has been in the 90s here and very humid. We have a pretty heavily wooded lot though, lots of shade. I have been keeping ice in their multiple waterers. Should I keep her separate from the others?

Back
Top Bottom