Sick hen????

Msleslie664

Hatching
May 5, 2022
I went out to shut the door on my coop after dark. I have a coop inside a large run. One of my hens was sitting on ground and not in the coop. This is not normal. I picked her up and put her inside the coop. She sat where I put her, didn't try to move and didn't make any noise. She kind of looked like she might have been holding one wing out a little bit but was hard to tell. I picked her up and checked her out. Her butt is missing some feathers and very very red. He behavior is definitely off. Eyes were clear, nostrils were clear. She was arching her neck some when I would pick her up but not sure if that was in response to me picking her up. This morning I had to leave my house really early and opened the coop around 4:30am, normally it is around 5:45 am. I was a little worried some critter my try to get in since it was still so dark but I haven't had issues so far and have had my girls for 2 years now. 9 hens, no rooster. This hen is one of the top ladies in the coop. A little concerned with the bird flu on run. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Welcome To BYC

When is the last time she laid an egg?

You mention she's missing feathers on her tail/butt? Could she have been attacked by something or do you think the other chickens are plucking at her?

It would be good to get some photos of your hen, her vent and poop.

Do try to get her hydrated, see if she will drink if you hold a cup of water to her beak. Once she's drinking, then see if she will eat a little. Look her over for lice/mites and see that her crop is emptying overnight.
With laying hens there can be a number of things that go wrong.

Welcome To BYC

When is the last time she laid an egg?

You mention she's missing feathers on her tail/butt? Could she have been attacked by something or do you think the other chickens are plucking at her?

It would be good to get some photos of your hen, her vent and poop.

Do try to get her hydrated, see if she will drink if you hold a cup of water to her beak. Once she's drinking, then see if she will eat a little. Look her over for lice/mites and see that her crop is emptying overnight.
With laying hens there can be a number of things that go wrong.
I'm not when she last laid. I leave at 6am and get home at 5:30 so all egg laying is done. This morning she seemed to have a hard time coming down the ladder, almost like she was a little off kilter and couldn't find her balance. I put her on the ground and she went right ro food and started eating. I am off on weekend so will be able to fully observe behaviors tomorrow. I've had chickens for much of my life. Not an expert by any means but have not come across something like this before.

Back
Top Bottom