Sick Hen

lsickels84

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
Hello, this afternoon a hen I am looking after appeared to be constipated or egg bound. I couldn't feel an egg. I gave her two Epsom salt baths. The second one she bit me every time I tried to take her out. She stayed in the bath close to two hours, and would bite me if I attempted to temove her. She did have a solid poop in the sink during her first bath. Now she has "thrown up" twice. Once it was clear fluid, and the second time it contained food colored stuff. She hasn't "thrown up" anymore, and it's been about 45 minutes since she last did it. They are somewhat rescue chickens that my ex-husband has. I'm babysitting them. I've camled some vets and most are large farm animal and small animal vets. I'm hoping to find an avian vet in the am. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of freaked out. She's 3 to 3.5 years old.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the hen and any of her poop?

You mention she looked constipated or egg bound - was she hunched or fluffed up?

Her throwing up, was this when she was handled and her crop was pressed or she bent over?

If you think she's having an issue expelling an egg, then I'd give her extra calcium. 1 Calcium Citrate tablet or you can give 1 TUMS. Now, then again in the morning.

How long have you had these hens and where did they come from?
Are you in the US or ?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the hen and any of her poop?

You mention she looked constipated or egg bound - was she hunched or fluffed up?

Her throwing up, was this when she was handled and her crop was pressed or she bent over?

If you think she's having an issue expelling an egg, then I'd give her extra calcium. 1 Calcium Citrate tablet or you can give 1 TUMS. Now, then again in the morning.

How long have you had these hens and where did they come from?
Are you in the US or ?
Thank you. My camera broke on my phone. I think he's had them maybe a year or a little over. I am just taking care of them while my ex is away for work. I just stuck a lubed gloved finger inside of her, and didn't feel anything. She only threw up when I took her out of the bath. After she threw up I massaged her chest and held her tipped downward to expell anything else. She stopped after the second time. Her tail feathers are still down. She is standing and grooming herself now. I am wondering if maybe she has some worms? How would I treat that? I have her in my heated barn bathroom. In a tub with shavings and soft hay to lay in. Can she have food and water? How do I give her tums if she won't eat it on her own? I'm so sorry. Please bear with me. Thank you so much for replying.

I am in the US. In Pennsylvania to be exact. I apologize I didn't see that. She seems to be standing tail feathers down. Earlier they were moving up and down. She's a little puffed up. I did just violate her though.

You can crush the TUMS up and add it to a little wet feed.

Sometimes if they have been eating/drinking and you pick them up a certain way, you can press the contents from the crop. What you want to do is determine if there's an issue with the crop or not, so I'd check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to see if it's emptying. If it's not, then I'd address that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would however provide food/water for her free choice during waking hours.

Worms could be a possibility, getting a fecal float is best, but that's not always possible. To treat worms, you can use Safeguard liquid goat dewormer. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

If she's an older hen, then a reproductive problem is likely. Not always, but it's usually the first thing to consider. Hopefully, if she's having a rough time with an egg, then the extra calcium will help.

Thank you. I wonder if she just took a big drink of her bath water during the second bath and me picking her up was the issue. She really likes baths and will literally stay in them for hours. Which she did for two hours tonight. I just offered a crushed tums and she declined. I will give her some soaked food and a tums right now. She's not wanting her regular dry food right now. She's kind of standing in a squat wrapped in my hoody falling asleep. I will pick up some wormer in the am.

She just farted and pooped a green and white poop. It wasn't solid like the bath poop. She's also grooming and staring at me with contempt. Is that a good sign?

She just farted and pooped a green and white poop. It wasn't solid like the bath poop. She's also grooming and staring at me with contempt. Is that a good sign?
She is now eating her soaked mash with a tums. Is there anything else I should do for her? I am going to worm all of the birds tomorrow, and disinfect the entire stall and roosting shelves ect. They have a 12x12 stall that has a door that goes out to a yard and aviary outside. If there is anything else I can do or preferred cleaning materials. Please let me know. Sorry, I am a horse and beef cattle person, and not well versed in birds. I'm sorry I am asking so many dumb questions. Thank you for your help.

How is she doing?

It's possible she drank too much bath water and just expelled it when she was picked up.
I'd check her crop to see that it's emptying overnight for the next few days.
Continue with the extra Calcium for 3-5 days as well.
Deworming sounds like a good idea.
While you are tending to her, take note of any lice or mites that may be part of the issue as well.
General cleaning, scooping of poop, etc. is what most of us do. Chickens are so! dusty.

Keep me posted.

How is she doing?

It's possible she drank too much bath water and just expelled it when she was picked up.
I'd check her crop to see that it's emptying overnight for the next few days.
Continue with the extra Calcium for 3-5 days as well.
Deworming sounds like a good idea.
While you are tending to her, take note of any lice or mites that may be part of the issue as well.
General cleaning, scooping of poop, etc. is what most of us do. Chickens are so! dusty.

Keep me poste

Back
Top Bottom