Sick Hen

MamacatPatch

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 10, 2007
One of my hens has been sick for awhile now and I was sure she was at death's door so I put her in a big cat carrier and brought her in the house where I can tend to her constantly. She's been 'ragged' looking for a month or two ... feathers all which way, missing feathers ... but I thought it was just the other hens picking on her or the roosters being rough with her so I didn't pay too much attention.

Then she started looking listless and not thriving. Then I'd find her just standing there, head hanging low and I never saw her eating or drinking. That's when I said enough is enough.

Problem is I don't know what is wrong with her! She is not groomed at all and I honestly was sure I'd find her dead in the coop, but she's a fighter apparently so I'm going to try and help her fight for life! I am giving her eyedroppers full of water AND water/collodial silver mix. I'm going to try and feed her some mashed/watered down layer crumbles later on. If she has an infection of some sort or parasites I can take care of that too with the silver or olive leaf and diatomaceous earth.

But I just wondered if anyone has any idea what's wrong with her to begin with? All the other hens and roosters are fine! We just got her in Feb/Mar of this year! I nicknamed her Raggedy Anne.

Here's some pix of her:

100_2363.jpg

100_2364.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Marci

Have you visually inspected her close up for lice/mites? What does her poop look like? How old is she and have you ever wormed her? If she has parasites, your concoction of silver or olive leaf and DE wont work. You're correct, that hen is in terrible shape. I suspect what I previously stated...lice or mites and needs worming.

Please go back to the "emergencies/diseases etc. and answer the questions in the sticky.

Her claws are awfully long where are you keeping your birds? What type of houseing conditions.

Try to keep her eating and drinking. Give her some yogurt and watch your other birds for symptoms.

I thought DE was good for worms.

They are in a large coop, formerly an old house with lots of room to run, a giant roost, two outdoor 'runs' with plenty of grass, weeds, bugs and sunshine. All the other chickens are healthy.

I haven't checked her poo because she hasn't been eating or drinking lately but I'll check now since I have her in the carrier and check her over for lice, etc. D.E. does take care of worms and parasites both inside and outside, in animals and in us ... also great for the garden.

Good idea about the yogurt ... for the probiotics right? Just happened to have a giant tub of plain yogurt!

Sometimes she acts like she's dead, her head all flopped over, eyes closed, barely breathing ... then suddenly, like when I try to give her food or water, she fights me, which is good that she's got some fight left in her!

Marci

MamacatPatch. I hate to inform you that there are plenty of BYC members who have been disappointed that after consistantly using DE as a wormer and as a lice/mite preventative that it has failed them on both accounts. Sevin dust or poultry dust will kill lice/mites on your hen and you'll need to dust the coop,nests roosts also. You'll need to redust everything again in 10 days to kill any eggs that have hatched. (That's if you see lice/mites on them) You've had your hen since Feb/Mar of this year as you state, it's worming history is unknown. I recommend you get some Wazine17 from your feed store or TSC and follow the directions on the label to deworm your hen(s). If she has worms, you'll see a marked improvement within a couple of days. I agree with rancher hicks, she must be given probiotics and I'd provide extra protein for her...canned beef catfood mixed in her feed with the yogurt to make a mash and feed that to her. Additionally you can buy some poultry nutri drench,put it in her water and give that to her also, it's loaded with vitamins and minerals and can be purchased at a feed store or TSC also. Good luck!

Last edited:
I just inspected her body head to toes and found no lice or bugs or any critters. Shouldn't I be able to SEE them if they are there??

I've had excellent results with D.E. in many ways including deworming and parasites. I've used it for years.

We got the hen from McMurray hatcheries as a 3-day old chick. I believe they are given shots before shipping but the worm thing would be an unknown if it is worms.

I appreciate your advice and help, dawg.

Marci

Yes, you are correct that you should be able to see lice and mites, especially around the vent area. If you didnt see any, that's good. If your chicken(s) have a worm infestation, and you've been giving them DE all this time, yet your hen is lethargic for this long...the DE is not working and now it's time to use chemicals on your chicken(s). I personally have used DE, cayenne pepper, garlic as natural wormers, in between regular 9-10 month chemical treatments.Natural wormers only work to a certain point. Worms are practically everywhere; grass that they eat, bugs they eat, wild birds etc...You wont see them in their poop unless there's an infestation. All that you have described pointed to lice/mites and/or worms. You've eliminated the lice/mites, now all you have to do is eliminate worms.
I recommend you read this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213065&p=1

Last edited:
Be very careful. Do you know what a sick chicken gets you? More sick chickens. She looks pretty rough if she isn't eating and drinking on her own it may be time for her to go.

Back
Top Bottom