1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    So yesterday I went out to let out the chickens and I noticed one of them stayed in the cage and roosted all day but I just figured she was tired and let it go. But today she didn't even come out of the house into the run and even when I let out the other chickens she just stayed inside. So I picked her up and held her in my lap. Then I noticed she had a really pale comb and has feathers missing from her back (though I think those are just from the rooster though) after a few minutes I gave her some food (bread) but she only took one bite Which is very weird. So I was wondering what was wrong with her or am I just over reacting lol. Oh and I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes I'm typing this on my iPhone and it's not easy haha [​IMG]

Oh! And I put a video on YouTube of her to show you her comb (with is a ton redder on camera) but since I'm on my phone I can't link things so just go to
    Www.YouTube.com/hchorselover and then click on the video called ignore with a chicken on it [​IMG]

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I watched the video and she does appear to be ill. Is that something on her right wattle, or is that just some bread?

Does her vent, crop, etc., feel normal, any sign of bugs, heat stress, or further injury from the roo? Is there any odor from her mouth? Normal poo? Could she be egg bound or maybe have sour crop? Hope you find out what it is and hope she recovers fully. [​IMG] She's a pretty girl.

3. hchorselover

Jul 29, 2010
    Sorry to say but she passed away this morning [​IMG] I think she was eggbound because we gave her a bath just to be safe and we pulled out what looked like a soft egg shell(gross I know) but ive never seen eggbound before so I don't know if that's what that was. If so why did she die after we got the egg out?[​IMG] and are there any ways to prevent it? Also thanks for the advice she was a very sweet henny [​IMG]

4. hchorselover

Jul 29, 2010
    Anyone?

5. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Aww I'm so sorry you lost her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by