Sick hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Exile27, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Exile27

Exile27 New Egg

Apr 9, 2010
    I need a little help figuring out what is wrong with one of my hens. She's a "turken" and is about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. This morning, she's just not acting right. When she walks, she does more of a waddle, taking really small/slow steps, keeping her butt down, and fluffs out all of her feathers. When she's not walking, she seems to be cramming herself into corners.

I checked her for lice/mites and didn't find any. Her eyes look clear and normal, and she is making to unusual breathing sounds. She is eating and drinking (I gave her a little sugar water). And I checked her for any noticeable injuries, of which I found none.

So does anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong with her? Does it sound more likely to be an injury, or an illness?

Any input will be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. Chicos Mama

Chicos Mama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Payson, Arizona
    Possibly Egg-bound?

3. Exile27

Exile27 New Egg

Apr 9, 2010
    *Note*- I meant to say "no" unusual breathing sounds in the OP.

I inserted a finger to check if she was egg bound, but I didn't feel anything.

I've got some Tylan here at the house. Would it be a good or bad idea to give her some without really knowing what's wrong at this point?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I suspect she's eggbound as well. I recommend you soak her up to her sides in a container of warm water and gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. The warm water will help expand her innards, massaging will help move the egg along. You can lube her vent with olive oil to help let the egg pass easily. Repeat as necessary.
    Edited: I dont recommend giving her antibiotics if she's eggbound.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by