1. kellychiciii

kellychiciii Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2013
    South Carolina
    Sound familiar to anyone? I'm new in this and I have a hen who has been hanging around the coop for a couple days...I thought maybe she was going broody but then I noticed she was out and the other hens were picking on her. This morning she's fluffed up and you can tell she's not feeling well. Eating and drinking and poop is normal. Eyes and nose are clear and comb looks good. I felt her and I don't feel anything other than she is under weight. I have separated her that's how I know she's eating and poop is ok. How can you tell the age of a chicken could it be she's an old lady because she was given to me and they had no idea how old she was just told me a couple of years. Any suggestions help will be appreciated for this sweet girl.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    How long has it been since you wormed her? You might want to start there if she has not been wormed. It can cause her to be underweight as well as the parasites take her nutrition. She how she fares after worming. Also make sure the other hens are allowing her to eat. Sometimes hens will starve out one that's lowest in the pecking order. I hope this helps and wish the best for you and your flock.

3. kellychiciii

kellychiciii Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thank you I have been using DE because I've been told my feed store and others in talking that DE takes care of worms and parasites. All other wormers I have looked into tells you to discard your eggs for a period of time and that concerns me for consumption of our eggs even after the waiting time. Is there something out there for laying hens that keeps eggs safe to eat?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You were provided with misinformation, DE is ineffective as a wormer. Get a real wormer such as valbazen or safeguard and worm all your birds. Discarding eggs for a couple of weeks is a small price to pay for healthy hens. Worms will eventually starve a chicken to death. No hens, no eggs. Visually inspect your hen for lice/mites, especially around the vent area where it's warm and moist.

2 people like this.
  5. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by