Sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bigwig, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Help!!! One of my hens is sick!! She has refusing to eat or drink and has been vomiting some. She has been acting like she is trying to swallow even though she is not drinking or eating. She has a poop on her rear that has has an different smell than normal. She stays in the corner of the run and rests (or sleeps) all day long.

Information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Soccerchicken

Soccerchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Open her mouth and check in her throat. If there's weird looking yellow bumps in there it could be wet pox. As for throwing up and not eating could you try tube feeding her a little bit of Pedialyte?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What does her crop feel like? Does it empty over night? She may be suffering from a crop impaction or from sour crop. What does her vent look like? Fungal or bacterial infections in the crop and digestive tract can cause sour crop and an infection in the GI tract. If you think it could be sour crop or impacted crop, I would consult a vet for antifungal medicines. A Probiotics can be used in the water. Apple cider vinegar can be used with vent fleet, but it's use in sour crop is controversial.

4. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    When you are holding her dip her break in water to force her to drink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by