Sick Lavender Orpington Hen

SgtMaj

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2022
Pisgah Forest, NC
1 week ago I noticed one of our lavender orpington hens with one eye closed and was isolating from the flock when at free range. We treated the eye daily with warm compress, saline rinse and Terramycin. The eye healed/opened in about 4 days. However, the hen continued isolation from the flock… mostly remaining in the coop. Concerned with cold nights and dehydration I moved the hen to an isolation cage in a warm basement and began force feeding an electrolyte/water mix and Nutri-Drench (a rapid, nutrition supplement). Today is day 3 of administering this routine. The hen seems more alert, but refuses to stand, eat or drink independently. Also, the hens legs are basically lifeless… when I hold her, I can physically exercise her legs and there is no resistance.

Thoughts… recommendations?

Last edited:
1 week ago I noticed one of our lavender orpington hens with one eye closed and was isolating from the flock when at free range. We treated the eye daily with warm compress, saline rinse and Terramycin. The eye healed/opened in about 4 days. However, the hen continued isolation from the flock… mostly remaining in the coop. Concerned with cold nights and dehydration I moved the hen to an isolation cage in a warm basement and began force feeding an electrolyte/water mix and Nutri-Drench (a rapid, nutrition supplement). Today is day 3 of administering this routine. The hen seems more alert, but refuses to stand, eat or drink independently. Also, the hens legs are basically lifeless… when I hold her, I can physically exercise her legs and there is no resistance.

Thoughts… recommendations?

How old is she?
Is she vaccinated for Marek's?

Sounds like you are doing what you can, making sure she's getting vitamins and tubing her.
Only other thing I can suggest would be to introduce B-Complex so she gets some Riboflavin(B2) which Poultry Nutri-Drench does not contain.

Has she been fairly productive - any issues with laying eggs?

How old is she?
Is she vaccinated for Marek's?

Sounds like you are doing what you can, making sure she's getting vitamins and tubing her.
Only other thing I can suggest would be to introduce B-Complex so she gets some Riboflavin(B2) which Poultry Nutri-Drench does not contain.

Has she been fairly productive - any issues with laying eggs?
She is 8 months old and vaccinated for Marek’s. Thanks for the advice of the B-Complex; I will introduce that to the regime. Up to this point she has been a consistent egg-layer and I did check her for a vent egg blockage. Negative result.

Back
Top Bottom