Sick lethargic hen with no confirmed diagnosis

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have an americauna that had not layed for months. I thought with winter, a molt, and her age was the causes. Today, I went out there and she was up on the roost. She stayed up there all day.She was puffed up extremely and her tail was tucked under. I thought maybe she was egg bound so I was feeling her pelvis and she laid down on my arm. I don't think it is any bigger than the other hens. I watched her for a tad and she was falling asleep and then she started to tilt forward and caught herself before she fell. I know that she is sick. I am not sure what the reason is.
I am at a loss. I had heard that if one was egg bound it would be dead in like 48 hours. Well she hasn't laid in months. What else could it be? I thought worms so I wormed her figuring it at least couldn't hurt. Can anyone help me out?

I don't know what's wrong with your Americana and I am so sorry she is having a health issue. My favorite 9 month old Americana just started showing similar symptoms. She won't move around, puffed up, a little unbalanced, was laying daily until recently and keeps twisting her neck up like she's looking up. She is losing breast feathers, so I thought maybe she was going into a broody phase, but I have never seen what appears to be neurological symptons in a broody hen. I am fairly new at backyard chicken raising so I am hoping someone will read your post and mine, and help us.

I am sorry too. It sucks doesn't it? I was thinking with yours since she keeps twisting to look up it may be like a deficiency. Almost like wry neck in babies. Maybe that will give you a direction to go in.
I don't know about mine. She is the same today. She is just not interested in anything but there seems to be no reason for her to act this way. I have dealt with sour crop and the like but right now with her i am at a loss as to even what to do. Lately, it seems to be problem after problem but I guess that is how it always works. When it rains, it pours. Good luck! I hope someone will post with answers for us.

I am curious if egg peritonitis is the problem. I know that a usual symptom is a swollen stomach but I have heard that there have been one or two that has not. This would explain my problem.

I have not heard of egg peritonitis. I'm sure as I raise chickens, things are going to come up that I won't know what is going on with them. :(

Back
Top Bottom