Sick little goat any advice?

bantamman13

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2008
Not sure if there is a area to post this in but I have a small goat that seems to have a cold. Has the sniffles and crud around its nose and eyes in the morning, anyone know what this could be and how to remedy it. She did have diahrea but we got that under control. She eats good and is very active most of the time. By the way she is a three week old Pigmy.
Thanks for any help

It has a greenish almost yellow tint to it,the stuff around its nose is almost indentical to the crud a small child gets when sick.

Thanks I will give the agricillin a try this my first go at having goats so I really appreciate the advice.

I give mine Vitamin C that I crush up and put in their feed or bottle. Its this strange weather and mine are crudy also...sounds like a cold but if you hear it in their chest then treat with antibiotics...thats when I break them out...not until then. Dont want to treat anything thats not there...not till needed...

there is also a product called Vet Rx for goats.. if you can get alittle of that you could rub a little around nose (like Vicks for humans) some say giving a dose of it orally can help also ( I have never done this) to help free up breathing if they are stuffed up.. I would also check their temps.. if they are fevered.. definately get on with antibiotics.. how old again? after antibiotics need to give some probiotics to help with rumen.. antibiotics kill most good flora in stomach chambers.. so don't want to go from one problem to another.. yogurt would work too.

Thanks everyone for all the great advise as I don't hear anything in her chest I will try the vitamin C and I've got some of the Vetrx ordered. Thanks again.

I'll bet it's the weather too. I remember, with my first goat, and because he was living in the house, it was raining a lot and he was urinating a ton. I thought something was wrong with him, but that's what they do when the weather gets like that. Now that mine are all mostly adults, I buy children's Vitamin C and give it to them once a week and they fight over them.

Back
Top Bottom