Sick Mallard Hen?

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
One of my Mallard ducks is a year old now and in the last day or so, she has been lying around a lot. She is eating and drinking fine and laying. But instead of wandering around with the others as she usually does, she is plopping herself down and not moving. She is usually kind of skittish and you can pretty well walk right up to her and she'll just move away a bit and then plunk down again. She gets up for treats like the rest, and then plunks down again. It has been 80-85F here, but they have lot's of shade and 2 pools to swim in. The other ducks are acting totally normal.

Any ideas? Is it time for the vet?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Well I have never seen that in any of my birds, but If I had to guess, maybe she is not a good egg producer. Some birds its harder on then others, and it can take its toll. It could also have nothing to do with the laying, perhaps she is lame? Good luck, I hope you find out whats going on with her
smile.png

She is an excellent egg producer. All my ducks lay every day and have since they started laying. They are 1 year old. They are often more reliable than my hens of the same age. Maybe she's just sick and tired of laying? But she is still laying every day. She is walking just fine when she walks. She just seems to want to lay around more than before. I think it might be time for the vet.

Thanks for the input.....BAH! They should come with manuals....then again I say that about my kids as well.....
hmm.png

I would say vet time. I lost a Drake and hen a little over a year old to the heat...they have pools, water, shade etc. They acted just as you described for a couple of days and then one morning they were both gone. Then the hen's mate grieved himself to death about 4 days later. So if you can, have a vet check her out.

Thanks. That's just what I am going to do. She seems totally fine otherwise and I love my mallards.....can't imagine losing them
sad.png

I very much appreciate the advice.

Just confirming it's a good idea to call in a vet. She may have an internal infection - those are difficult to catch until they're well along. She also may have ingested something that's causing her to feel ill. And please, do share what the vet says - many of us appreciate learning from their insights.

I hope she gets better, my baby girl is not feeling so well either, for the past two days she hasn't wanted to come out of her cage or eat. She does drink though and on occasion will come out if I bribe her with a treat. I really don't know what to do, the closest vet that will see her is a 3 hour drive, so I don't want to do it unless it's serious. Heat isn't a factor cause she is indoors but any help will be appreciated!!!

Back
Top Bottom