Sick meat chicks

CosetteEponine

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
I ordered 25 Cornish X meat birds from McMurray Hatchery. They arrived three days ago. One was dead on arrival, and over the next 48 hours 7 more died. They just gradually got lethargic, then their legs wouldn't work, and they just withered away, one at a time. Some of them got big swellings in their necks on the right side. My remaining chicks are ok, they just seem a bit bloated and sluggish. They don't stand for long periods of time, and some of them even lie down while eating. Is this normal? I've never had meat birds before, but they just seem "off" to me. I also received some layer chicks at the same time (Buff Orpingtons and Black Stars) and they seem perfectly normal.
Thanks in advance for any advice! It's been a pretty traumatic couple of days for me and the chicks. :(

Update: another chick dead this morning. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Anyone? I'm getting a bit desperate here...I think the hatchery sent me a bunch of diseased birds.

what are you feeding them? Did you dip their beaks in water and provide plenty of it in accessible containers? Not much should go wrong with chicks. Food, water and heat. That's the big 3, and if you managed those items I'm at a loss.
sorry you had such a time.

The swelling could be just the crop full of food as they are very greedy some more than others. I recently got my first meat birds (Sasso's) and noticed that they grow very quickly and they do tend to sit down a lot even as you said when feeding. But with the exception of one which I thick has spaddle leg they run around quite easily. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck.

Quote:
Thanks, this really gives me some peace of mind. After the dead one today the rest seem to be okay. I wasn't sure if the clumsy movement and the lying down while eating was normal. My other chicks, the layers, are so bouncy and peppy compared to the meat birds.

First, sorry for your rotten luck. To echo what has been said earlier in this thread. They need heat, feed, and water. Early on, that heat part is very important. A chilled chick's heart is taxed badly and as they grow it is unable to keep up with the demands of their rapid growth and they will develop ascities from pulmonary hypertension. The affected ones will be lazy, even by CX standards. Their bellies will bulge as the fill with fluid and eventually, it will kill them. Keep your eye on them and process the lazy lethargic bulging-belly birds early. They are perfectly safe to eat. Now, will they lay down to eat? OMG, YES! They are so lazy. I keep inching the feed bucket higher so they have to stand to eat. If I see one laying and eating, I immediate shorten the chain on the suspended bucket. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

I have a meat bird as well and wow @ how often this bird sits to eat and drink. I kept moving everything, to give it some sort of exercise. I originally thought something was wrong with her.

Back
Top Bottom