Sick Muscovy Duck

nicknapp

Hatching
Jan 19, 2016
I have a flock of eight chickens and five muscovy ducks. One of my chickens has frozen to death, and that had me concerned about the rest of my flock. I went out and found my muscovy drake partially sitting in the snow as if for some reason he was to weak to use one of his legs. Usually when I approach him he moves away rather quickly. Today though when I tried to get close to him he had a lot of trouble moving. Even flapping his wings he could not move very fast. He seemed like he was weak and tired. The ducks have a coop to get out of the wind and off the snow, and the chickens have an elevated coop that they can fly into at night. They do not have heated shelters. Any suggestions? I really don't want to lose any more of my flock, especially if it is because I should be doing something and am not.

I have a flock of eight chickens and five muscovy ducks. One of my chickens has frozen to death, and that had me concerned about the rest of my flock. I went out and found my muscovy drake partially sitting in the snow as if for some reason he was to weak to use one of his legs. Usually when I approach him he moves away rather quickly. Today though when I tried to get close to him he had a lot of trouble moving. Even flapping his wings he could not move very fast. He seemed like he was weak and tired. The ducks have a coop to get out of the wind and off the snow, and the chickens have an elevated coop that they can fly into at night. They do not have heated shelters. Any suggestions? I really don't want to lose any more of my flock, especially if it is because I should be doing something and am not.
What part of the country are you in what are your temps. you might want to bring this particular bird in to a warmer area for a few days to evaluate him. Make sure he is hydrated by giving him warm water with electrolytes Make sure your ducks are put up at night [put them up means put them inside and close the door]. if your temps are really low so they can be out of the wind and temps. There doesn't necessarily have to be a heated coop but nice deep bedding and no drafts is a must in the weather most of us are having.

Back
Top Bottom